Go Back   Henshin Justice Unlimited > Halls of Justice > Toys Unlimited

Toys Unlimited Toy Discussion - Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Tokusatsu, S.H. Figuarts, D-Arts, Figmas and all toys we hold dear. This is where we come to play. ^__^\/

Sponsor

Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
wavehawk
All Decade's Fault

Default Figure Comparisons (Figuarts vs Figma, Other Figures)

A comparison of figures I've had to date. Although we usually assume they're the same scale (1:12), they're really not.

Den-O Voices his complaints against Lelouch firsthand...

Female figs comparison.

The S.H. Figuarts female body (Hana) is approximately similar in scale with most figma females (Please note that Fate-chan is pretty short for a figma). The Q-Joy gashapon toy is not only short, it really doesn't stack up to the rest.

The MMS/Busou Shinki figure is slim and quite tall. Quite close to the Fraulein in terms of height (maybe a half cm shorter). This is the MMS standard body, though; I haven't checked out the MMS 3rd (small) body yet, maybe it's closer to the figma sizes in terms of scale.

The Saber pictured here is the Revoltech one, which I pre-ordered years back when it came out. Wish I didn't; the figma Saber is infinitely better, and Iwould have gotten her for cheaper. Ah well, I have the Casual Dress Saber version, which I prefer anyway.

The Fraulein body is lovely (IMHO they have the most feminine curves of the lot, even moreso than the figmas), but joints tend to be loose (they fall off), and way outsize/out of scale compared to everyone else. I'm thinking of selling my Rin Fraulein (used, of course, so it'll be a bit lower priced), but only if I can find an affordable figma Rin. It's tough, size the Fraulein Rin towers over my figma Shiro, making any scenes with the two of them awkward.

Male figs.

Furthest left is the older Shochaku Henshin Kuuga Ultimate form that I bought almost 10 years ago. He's short, and is nowhere near close to the quality of the new S.H. Figuarts figures.

The Hasbro Iron Man is tall, but since he's IRON MAN, you kind of accept that he'll be way taller. Lelouch is tallest, a male figma at 15.5cm I think. He towers over even the Figuarts Kamen Riders. TAKE NOTE: Lelouch is exceptionally tall for a male figma; he's a bit taller than my figma Emiya Shiro (the only other male figma I have). Sadly, I didn't have Shiro yet when I took these photos.

On one hand, I love that McFarlane makes these Halo 3 figures, as they're well designed. But they're also ridiculously short compared to the others; a Spartan is supposed to be 6-7 feet tall, but he's dwarfed by Decade. The ODST figures are even shorter.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Baltan II
Space Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Male figs.
http://www.figure.fm/cgm/ecommerce/f...940035539f.jpg
Furthest left is the older Shochaku Henshin Kuuga Ultimate form that I bought almost 10 years ago. He's short, and is nowhere near close to the quality of the new S.H. Figuarts figures.

The Hasbro Iron Man is tall, but since he's IRON MAN, you kind of accept that he'll be way taller. Lelouch is tallest, a male figma at 15.5cm I think. He towers over even the Figuarts Kamen Riders. TAKE NOTE: Lelouch is exceptionally tall for a male figma; he's a bit taller than my figma Emiya Shiro (the only other male figma I have). Sadly, I didn't have Shiro yet when I took these photos.

On one hand, I love that McFarlane makes these Halo 3 figures, as they're well designed. But they're also ridiculously short compared to the others; a Spartan is supposed to be 6-7 feet tall, but he's dwarfed by Decade. The ODST figures are even shorter.
Nothing to comment on the female comparisons, but on the males, a couple things. First, it's "Souchaku."

Second, I love the idea of the thread, because it's one of those things that constantly gets brought up, but it could be better. Laying the figures down the way you did really doesn't show off the size best, since they're not level. I had no idea why you claimed Lelouch was taller than Iron Man because I missed seeing how far his feet reached. For SH and Figuart comparisons, throwing in Den-O would have been nice too, because then you could emphasize the body similarity.

Third, McFarlane Halo figures were stated from the beginning as NOT being in 1:12 scale. They're at a 5" scale unlike the other figures you included, to accommodate the size of the Spartans and larger Covenant races at a smaller pricepoint than the Joyride line.

I would have liked to see was a "male" or robot Revoltech to represent that line for the male figures, but that's totally dependent on your collection, so the absence isn't a big deal if that's the reason.

For what you were able to provide, it was informative and nice to have.
Baltan II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
GekiDan
ジェイ・イー・フュージョン

Or maybe a comparison between Revoltech, Figma, Robot Damashii and FiguArts
GekiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
syn13
KUUGA! **** YEAH!

Unfortunately my collection mainly consists of PVC figures following some mecha, Riders and misc figures so this is the best I could pull out:

It's too bad I haven't bought a Revoltech in a while so I haven't had the chance to play around with the Fraulein type although my brother has two types of Yokos from Gurren Lagann. But from what I could say from their basic structure for pose-ability are:
First place: MMS types, but because they can pull some crazy poses, it leaves their joints heavily exposed. Good thing about buying Busou Shiki figures isn't entirely mainly for the figure but for the armor as well.
Second place: SHFiguarts, I've got my Kick Hopper to do near real action poses since they're double jointed. To me, they're the smaller, show-accurate figures to get next to the Organic looking SIC figures.
Third place: Figma, has a standard structure that does good stuff, what I like about this Figmas are that they're really nicely produced, Figma Saber > Revoltech Saber.
Last place: Revoltech. For one, I hate that their legs cannot be moved straight upwards leaving basic posing near impossible. For my Patlabor TYPE-ZERO and Saber, I need the base so keep them standing up. This also provides a problem for this certain scale picture, I can't seem to stand Saber standing straight.

On a somewhat related note, SIC figures should be around 1/8 scale. I know this since I have plenty of 1/8 figures to stand them next to. If anything, they're a little smaller if you're considering that the characters they're standing beside are girls(Men are commonly taller than women I guess).

Hey wavehawk, are the Q-Joy figures the same as Bandai's Motion Revives? I was about to buy Kos Mos and T-elos because they are always on sale but always put it off since they don't look good.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
wavehawk
All Decade's Fault

I've got to get around to doing those pics again. I took them last year, long before I got Den-O (He only arrived 2 weeks ago), and my figma Emiya Shiro (who's a male figma, but WAY shorter than Lelouch as well).

The reason I laid them down like this was because I couldn't get them all to stand level on a surface at once, and I was using my phone camera late afternoon. I'll try to get a picture on my blacony on a clear day, that might be a better attempt.

I also forgot to include my Duel Maid/Full Metal Panic figures, but they're all female, and somewhere between the figuarts/figms and the 3-3/4 Star Wars/G.I.Joe scales. I don't have any male non-robot revoltechs, and the bots I do have (YF-19, YF-21) are VERY short. Heck, maybe I should include my 1/144 Gundam kits and a couple of my 1/6 figures to better show scale heights and differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn13
Hey wavehawk, are the Q-Joy figures the same as Bandai's Motion Revives? I was about to buy Kos Mos and T-elos because they are always on sale but always put it off since they don't look good.
- No, Q-Joy is not the same as Motion Revives (I don't have any Motion Revive figures), it's essentially a gashapon toy with prepainted body and joints set you put together like a kit. I bought one out of curiosity.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with them. They're a cute novelty, and might be good as a gift for a fan, but not if you collect and critique action figures.

BTW: Both the MMS and the figma were designed by Masaki Apsy. The MMS for Konami, the figma for MAx Factory. Most diehard MMS fans I know hate figmas with almost religious passion.

Last edited by wavehawk; 01-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Dark Kabuto
In Justice, We Trust!

I'll repost this picture I took:

Amongst the other junk in the background, from left to right you have:
Super Legends White Power Ranger
S.H.Figuarts Domon Kasshu
Figma Meiya Mitsurugi
S.H.Figuarts Kick Hop
Frauline Revoltech Yoko
Revoltech Gurren Lagann.
Dark Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
wavehawk
All Decade's Fault

Hey, the figma Meiya Mitsurugi is pretty tall, even considering she's on a figma stand...

New pics--and I was mistaken; Lelouch isn't taller than Iron Man, after all. But he's tall enough to be close to Iron Man's height...

The redhead on Lelouch's right is Shirou Emiya from Fate/Stay Night, and he's also a figma. Note how short he is in comparison! But that also makes him closer in scale with Figuarts figs. I think I posed Decade wrong; he's not supposed to look that short compared to Kiva and Shiro.

With both male and female versions of the figures (where possible). Iron Man has no females in it's line, and MMS have no males. Again, I have no Revoltech male figures to compare. And the Halo ODST will suffice for a 'female' seeing that ODSTs are male and female (not that you can tell under the armor most of the time)

I'm finding the figma and figuarts figures to be almost perfect when posed together. This pic is all my figma, Figuarts, and Souchaku Henshins (except Kuuga Ultimate).
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Dark Kabuto
In Justice, We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Hey, the figma Meiya Mitsurugi is pretty tall, even considering she's on a figma stand...

So most figmas are actually shorter?

Meiya is my first and only Figma so I'm a total noob to the line.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
wavehawk
All Decade's Fault

If (without the stand) Meiya is about the height of Kickhopper, that means she's as tall as Decade. Shirou is around that height (Male figma), but female figmas (Fate and Saber--the two blonde girls you see in the last photo I posted) are about a figma head shorter. Granted, Saber is a short character, but that still means Meiya is pretty tall.

Or it could just be your camera angle exaggerating things.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Dark Kabuto
In Justice, We Trust!

Even without the stand, she's almost as tall as Yoko.