Go Back   Henshin Justice Unlimited > Halls of Justice > Henshin Justice Unlimited

Henshin Justice Unlimited Tokusatsu - For Great Justice! Fire up your giant robot, get your changer ready, and strike a pose! Here's were we jam on Sentai, Kamen Rider and other Super Entertainment from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Sponsor

View Poll Results: Max vs. Mebius: Which was better?
Ultraman Max 1 6.67%
Ultraman Mebius 9 60.00%
both were equally good 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
Forever Knight
It pays to be Schrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igadevil View Post
Both.

Max was, for me, was pretty close to perfection and cracked my top 5 about 4 episodes in. After a lot of "experimental" spins on Ultraman, some of which worked better than others, Max finally got the balance I like just right. It's the kind of Ultra show I enjoy the most- optimistic and upbeat, but with some serious "Oh @#$%!" episodes, and it can actually do both drama & comedy without either one ever really feeling forced. Throw in a couple of classic monsters re-imagined, a *great* team, and a hero who actually gets by with just one new weapon thingy and a side hero who shows up a lot, lot less than I thought. And the fact that it was fewer episodes than usual really helped- because of this, every episode feels special in some way, and there's very few that I'd say didn't have something going for them (be it an old monster, guest star, guest director, or just outrageously crazy storyline.) It's a really great way to do a show with retro vibe that still feels "all-new" and like something anybody can jump into as their first show.

Mebius, on the other hand, is really how you do an Anniversary series right. Loads of continuity references, tons of old monsters, Ultra cameos, hell, even old sound effects here and there! And yet it's also a show that stands on its own, with a good cast of characters (who really grew along the way) and some intriguing subplots (Tsurugi/Hikari) and I like Mebius himself a lot, even if I lost track of how many forms he had at the end. It's like, the sort of show I wish Toei would do for the Riders, but I don't see it happening any time soon... although maybe for the 40th. One can hope.

Looks like it's gonna be a solid X-Mas for me with both sets coming my way.

I already watched a bit of Mebius and I loved the Hikiari intro.

Does Max have some sort of Eye Slugger type weapon? cause the suit looks like a tribute to Ultraseven so I just assume.
Forever Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
scikaiju
science experiment gone wrong

yeah he does but i don't remember what it's called.
scikaiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
kamenridersigma

To me Max was the Kamen Rider Black of the new Ultra series in that it was a back to basics approach i.e. no form changes, only one weapon upgrade [the wristblade that was an homage to Jack's Ultra Bracelet], reimagined classic monsters, and a return to Ultramen from Nebula M78.

As for Mebius I like it because it was how to do an anniversary series correctly and by the book. Cameos, continuity references and other things that just scream nostalgia. To me Mebius was the toku version of Doctor Who's season twenty.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
GekiBlack
Red Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post

Does Max have some sort of Eye Slugger type weapon? cause the suit looks like a tribute to Ultraseven so I just assume.
Actually the design is based on Ultraseven but nope, no Eye Slugger weapon but there is a weapon similar to it just that i don't know what its called ...

Last edited by GekiBlack; 12-06-2007 at 10:05 PM.
GekiBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
Forever Knight
It pays to be Schrute

So Max falls into the original M78 timeline?...
Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
scikaiju
science experiment gone wrong

no Max is like Tiga where it's set in it's own universe, so he's from a nebula M78 not the nebula M78
scikaiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
Japanfan4ever
Sometimes things get complicated.

Totally Mebius! It had more Ultras appear, and a great way of interweaving older series' stoylines into it's own. I understand that Max played homage to older ones as well, it just wasn't the same canon.

The movie was good, and on top of it all Mebius was new entity. Max was a similar design copy of Seven. I mean look at 'em side by side.

That's one of the several reasons I dislike Ultraseven X, it's been played out a little too much!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Forever Knight
It pays to be Schrute

Ah, I c.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
Forever Knight
It pays to be Schrute

Did Max have anything in the series that was as cool as the Hikari arc in Mebius?. I'm having a hard time debating which series to watch first when I'm done with Dyna and the Tiga/Dyna Movies.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Japanfan4ever
Sometimes things get complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
Did Max have anything in the series that was as cool as the Hikari arc in Mebius?. I'm having a hard time debating which series to watch first when I'm done with Dyna and the Tiga/Dyna Movies.
I suggest to go to Mebius, an all around more epic series!