Default Why did Ex-Aid go down hill?

Ever since a Christmas episode with a certain character going out the door Ex-Aid has dropped in quality and entertainment value pretty hard. What happened? For some redundant reason they stopped playing the opening theme at the beginning, there's too much over reactive serious dialogue like in mid 00s Syfy movies, the villains are too sympathetic, and the writing feel like a Gaim retread except they (thankfully) kept in monsters of the week. What the hell happened?
    Victim of cyberbullying since December 2006

That's really a matter of opinion. For me, I feel like the story picked up the pace and is hitting the mark better than before. A change in direction always happens around the 12th or 13th episode, and it's especially more noticeable in more recent shows since the first quarter is devoted almost entirely to pushing toys. It may not be to your taste, of course, but that'll happen.

I liked him when he wasn't a god lazycoconut's Avatar
    Cuddled up to the Roidmudes in the back seat of Tridoron.

I agree the absence of the OP is annoying, and I don't agree with people saying they have extended the story to compensate. Emu's actor mentioned in the cast blog a few weeks ago that with the OP being gone, the show has been "condensed" (if I'm reading this correctly) indicating the episodes are NOT actually longer. Your other points:

- "Over reactive serious dialogue" - Unless you are fluent in Japanese, you're relying on someone else's translation choices. Both the main groups subbing the show (TV-N and Excite) are known for taking their own liberties with the dialogue.

- "Villains too sympathetic" - I don't see how Kuroto Dan is too sympathetic at all, especially given the revelations of the last episode, and the fact he framed his own father for Zero Day so he could take over the company. Parado has some redeeming qualities in that he wants to protect Emu and other Bugsters; but he still doesn't care less about humans, and is manipulating Emu to his own ends. I'm not counting Graphite since he died before Kiriya, but even if we do count him: he's basically dumb muscle canon fodder like Phoenix, even though the audience was meant to feel sorry for him being thrown under the bus by Genm and Parado

- "Gaim retread" - While the show has similarities in setup to Gaim, that's likely to do with marketing - same as how Kyuranger has a very big male-dominated team so they can try to replicate Kyoryuger's sales. Ex-Aid isn't as depressing and angsty as Gaim was at the same point in time (though that could change), and has a number of differences. IMO a lot of the comparisons people make are very spurious; like saying Dan is a copy of Takatora Kureshima, which he clearly isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Fang View Post
    Takeru the promiscuous sobber

Shouldn't the question be, "When will Ex-Aid get good?"

Extreme Perfect Complete Ultimate ! ferosaki's Avatar

wait, what !?
    it's literally the opposite by now..i mean for me at least
    the pacing is quite good (though at some point it is fast as heck)
    with such a small cast, they could somehow makes us care with all of them..well, some of them but still
    and for the most, DAN KUROTO !!

if you want to take something out of exaid's lore and made it soo hard to watch, the first choice is HIM
    his antics & evolution to be a megalomaniac bastard with a god complex was hilarious, that the series should've named after him lol
    it's a hybrid of banno & ryoma, but with more screentime so it's a plus side
    so i really don't think that it is going down hill, things are escalating till now
    except they really killed dan soon enough then i'm gonna be mad as fuck

Now, count up your crimes! Kai Yamato's Avatar

Seems like just another typical Neo Heisei Kamen Rider show to me.
    XTREME PUTOTYRANNOSAURUS COSMIC ON INFINITY DAI DAI DAI DAI DAI SHOGUN

I. Uh.
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot for my opposing opinions, I damn well like the direction in which Ex-Aid's been going. It was kinda odd and cringy at first but got BETTER as time went on, in my sincere opinion. Good Toku, and better Kamen Rider than, say, Ghost, for example. :B

I loved the hell out of Go-Busters and thought it a fantastic show overall.

Eh it's down to personal taste really.

I think it makes sense that after a 'wham' episode with a major character death, the remaining characters realise that "shit's got real" and the show becomes more serious.

I do think that the rate at which the story is progressing has gradually slowed down since then, but it's pretty standard for that to happen around the middle of pretty much every toku show.

That's not to say Ex-Aid has no bugbears. For example, neither Para-DX nor Snipe and his sidekick really have anything to do, and there's a lot of really important parts of Emu's backstory that he just conveniently forgot about until someone else brings it up.

I wouldn't say this show is copying Gaim. They're both Rider vs Rider shows, but that was started by Ryuki. Both Gaim and Ex-Aid are trying to do the concept in the modern "wacky toys" era, but that's about it. If I really try to draw comparisons I guess they're both very narrative-driven shows released on the heels of shows that really lacked in the story department (Wizard and Ghost).

If there's one big contrast between the two I feel like Gaim was where the action took a step down and stopped being as cool. That stuck around for Drive and Ghost. But I think Ex-Aid has stepped back on the gas again as far as it's action goes. Those 'Mighty Brothers' Rider Kick combos are really cool.
    The obligatory watch list.

I liked him when he wasn't a god lazycoconut's Avatar
    Cuddled up to the Roidmudes in the back seat of Tridoron.

Ah yes, how did I know that people would invariably start bitching about Ghost ...

Highlight to read the spoiler
    The Toei site says that Parado/Para-DX will now be the main villain of the show's third arc, so he'll get more to do very soon. Although with Dan now dead, it seems like there was still a lot about his backstory that now won't be explained in the show - unless Masamune Dan returns to fill in some of the gaps
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Fang View Post
    Takeru the promiscuous sobber

I'd say the show is also "copying Gaim" in the sense that it isn't afraid to
    Highlight to read the spoiler
    kill off Riders
    before the final arc, but that's just going back to the tradition of early Heisei shows. It also helps that, like Gaim, the show has been under the watchful eye of one writer so far. Whereas Tsuyoshi Kida and Takuro Fukuda were absent for almost half of their shows' runs which led to tons of padding, Gen Urobuchi and Yuuya Takahashi have had complete control over the story and characters. Heck, Takahashi even wrote Heisei Generations and tied that movie into the show's plot, as well as "supervising" the script for Brave's spin-off. He also hasn't had to step aside so that Toei can forcefully insert bad movie advertisements masquerading as episodes either. So far, he's been more involved in every facet of this show than Urobuchi was with his. However, I will say that this show definitely would not have existed if Gaim wasn't successful.

So far, I'm really enjoying Ex-Aid. I didn't start watching it until after the New Year because I was so put off by the concept and design, and after watching two heavily uneven Rider shows back-to-back, I was not in the mood to be disappointed by yet another Rider show. Still, the characters have all had pretty good story arcs, it's not pulling any punches when it comes to the stakes at hand, and it has done a brilliant job of incorporating its silly gimmicks into the plot and overall aesthetic of the show. The Rider suits are still universally pretty bad, but the action choreography has definitely taken a step up like Toku Prime said. Yeah, it has slowed down since the Christmas episode, but it looks like things are about to pick back up again now that we're about to start a new arc.
    Read my blog! It's still young, so please be kind:

http://tokulaundry.blogspot.com/