Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I liked him when he wasn't a god lazycoconut's Avatar
    Cuddled up to the Roidmudes in the back seat of Tridoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fang View Post
    Quite. Frankly I think Japan and America have exact opposite problems with their superheroes. The latter gets too dark and depressing and "adult material" laced, and the former is too toy-centric and childish. There's no middle ground.
    You're comparing American titles aimed at teenagers/adults, with Super Sentai and Kamen Rider which are aimed at children - in Sentai's case, many of the target audience are too young to have started school. I could just as easily argue the issue is the other way around; look at this show and Kikaider REBOOT vs Power Rangers and Big Hero 6.

I would agree more generally that it's become more difficult to find something that can be a good superhero story for all ages. I would cite Ultraman X and Pacific Rim as examples but they seem to be an exception at present ...
    Takeru the promiscuous sobber

Quote Originally Posted by lazycoconut View Post
    I would agree more generally that it's become more difficult to find something that can be a good superhero story for all ages. [/B]I would cite Ultraman X and Pacific Rim as examples but they seem to be an exception at present ...
    Most Marvel movies seem to be basically aimed at a general audience, rather than being dark and mature or toyetic and childish, which is why they're generally so successful. They have semi-pratical designs that still keep many elements from the original comic designs, and although the plots could be theoretically considered dark sometimes they're mostly executed with levity and random jokes often are thrown around (which is something even used as criticism against them).

I liked him when he wasn't a god lazycoconut's Avatar
    Cuddled up to the Roidmudes in the back seat of Tridoron.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Most Marvel movies seem to be basically aimed at a general audience, rather than being dark and mature or toyetic and childish, which is why they're generally so successful. They generally have semi-pratical designs that still keep many elements from the original comic designs, and although the plots could be theoretically considered dark sometimes they're mostly executed with levity and random jokes often are thrown around (which is something even used as criticism against them).
    They do, but IMO they have the problem of what I've seen described as "disappearing up their own mythology" - after a certain point, if you haven't seen the previous instalments, they become difficult to follow. Which makes them less accessible if you're just starting to watch and/or want to enjoy one in its own right
    Takeru the promiscuous sobber

You're comparing American titles aimed at teenagers/adults, with Super Sentai and Kamen Rider which are aimed at children - in Sentai's case, many of the target audience are too young to have started school. I could just as easily argue the issue is the other way around; look at this show and Kikaider REBOOT vs Power Rangers and Big Hero 6.

I would agree more generally that it's become more difficult to find something that can be a good superhero story for all ages. I would cite Ultraman X and Pacific Rim as examples but they seem to be an exception at present ...
    As usual, you bring the truth.

science experiment gone wrong

episode 3 was sort of interesting. Found out Jin used to work used to work for the company that let the Amazons escape, but I'm sure more than a few watching already guessed that. Still no idea how he got the belts. Since the bike they eventually revealed was in his colors I wonder if he was originally supposed to work with them and the exterminators and went "Fuck it, I'm not being used" and left. Speaking of being used not sure if that was the plan "mom" had for Haruka all along or if she's really fast at thinking on her feet. But it does look like she has a rival now. And I'm still hoping somebody punches the "snobby" guy in the face before the series is over. Although when exactly did the exterminator captain realize there was a bug on top of the van?

Quote Originally Posted by scikaiju View Post
    Although when exactly did the exterminator captain realize there was a bug on top of the van?
    Probably about the time Jin kept showing up where they were.

Also, I feel really slow because I only now realized the meaning of the company name "Nozama Pharmacy".

I loved the hell out of Go-Busters and thought it a fantastic show overall.

Are there many American superhero media (excusing Power Rangers which is an adaptation of a Japanese show) aimed specifically for kids now the way Sentai and Rider are? It seems most of it is going to the aforementioned Marvel and DC movies and DC's "direct-to-video" movies that specialize in grimness and grit.

I recently caught up!

Amazons feels so edgy...it does make a somehwat refreshing change from the sunday morning series though.

The data page of Jin from Nozama company flashed onscreen shows that he used to work in R&D as a cell biologist, so I guess he experimented with the Amazon cells on himself. (and took the belts when he left?escaped?) He seems to know how to manage the cells inside of himself.

What I'm wondering is whether the other Amazons are results from human experimentations or homunculus.
    Since it was mentioned that they learned to blend in with humans, and also, Haruka does not really have memories from before 2 years ago...

Are there many American superhero media (excusing Power Rangers which is an adaptation of a Japanese show) aimed specifically for kids now the way Sentai and Rider are? It seems most of it is going to the aforementioned Marvel and DC movies and DC's "direct-to-video" movies that specialize in grimness and grit.
    The new Powerpuff Girls reboot and Teen Titans Go immediately jump to mind, although both of those shows are more about slapstick comedy than being about superheroics.
    Read my blog! It's still young, so please be kind:

http://tokulaundry.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Solari View Post
    The data page of Jin from Nozama company flashed onscreen shows that he used to work in R&D as a cell biologist, so I guess he experimented with the Amazon cells on himself. (and took the belts when he left?escaped?) He seems to know how to manage the cells inside of himself.
    That could explain his lack of Amazons Register. Perhaps he didn't need the drug because he already has full control over his own Amazons Cells.