Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Though if this flops miserably, people will say that it's because they tried too hard to make Power Rangers more mature, and talk about how it has no business being PG13.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
    Though if this flops miserably, people will say that it's because they tried too hard to make Power Rangers more mature, and talk about how it has no business being PG13.
    You mean dark, right?
    It looks like a typical dark reboot of a kid's franchise that drastically reimagines the story. If that comes to be the case, it'll just mean more people are running against these kind of cash grabs. It's as if they got a teenage version of me to design and write the movie. I've already beaten this argument anyways to the ground.

Which would be unfair, because PR has stopped evolving over a decade ago. It can be more mature and shatter the limiting box it has always been placed in...but only in the right hands it can do that. It can't be either extreme, balance and execution is key.

That being said as much as these crappy designs AND toys speak volumes, I still can't get a good pulse on the film. This a one of very few films where I am really needing a second trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    You mean dark, right?
    It looks like a typical dark reboot of a kid's franchise that drastically reimagines the story. If that comes to be the case, it'll just mean more people are running against these kind of cash grabs. It's as if they got a teenage version of me to design and write the movie. I've already beaten this argument anyways to the ground.
    No, not dark. I really do mean "mature".

Quote Originally Posted by Kivat View Post
    Which would be unfair, because PR has stopped evolving over a decade ago.
    Evolving how?

Evolving how?
    Meaning it has had a negative stigma for the longest. People give them a box of limitations and they choose to stay in that box, sadly. But the current Boom comics give me hope and are great examples of how the brand is evolving.

Now if the movie can be mature, but not take itself tooo seriously, and if Ninja Steel tries new things but keeps the headache inducing writing to a minimum then it will feel like the product is changing for the better. All the mediums taking positives risks and somewhat new directions.

As long as Power Rangers is stuck with mediocre acting coupled with cringe-inducing bad dialogue and one-liners for every fight, it's not escaping anything. Even the later Saban shows that people like to claim are more mature than the MMPR days never got away from this. The series doesn't even have its own soundtracks anymore, opting for generic noise while Sentai, Rider, etc still get music written for them.

Even the names of their stuff need a revamp. One thing you can say for Sentai is it has a variety of names for its mechas and weapons (and fortunately since Go-Busters, for the heroes too, after 15 years of "Show Name-Color"). Not only does PR add ever clunkier adjectives to "Megazord", every robot is now a Megazord regardless of whether it combines or not. What rolls off the tongue better, GigaPhoenix or Statoforce Megazord? ShinkenOh or Samurai Megazord?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Fang View Post
    As long as Power Rangers is stuck with mediocre acting coupled with cringe-inducing bad dialogue and one-liners for every fight, it's not escaping anything. Even the later Saban shows that people like to claim are more mature than the MMPR days never got away from this. The series doesn't even have its own soundtracks anymore, opting for generic noise while Sentai, Rider, etc still get music written for them.

Even the names of their stuff need a revamp. One thing you can say for Sentai is it has a variety of names for its mechas and weapons (and fortunately since Go-Busters, for the heroes too, after 15 years of "Show Name-Color"). Not only does PR add ever clunkier adjectives to "Megazord", every robot is now a Megazord regardless of whether it combines or not. What rolls off the tongue better, GigaPhoenix or Statoforce Megazord? ShinkenOh or Samurai Megazord?
    I can talk for days about small details to big ones mentioned here, but yea I concur. Also, the later Saban seasons had cheesy line delivery, depending, but the dialogue was quite a bit more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivat View Post
    I can talk for days about small details to big ones mentioned here, but yea I concur. Also, the later Saban seasons had cheesy line delivery, depending, but the dialogue was quite a bit more natural.
    The biggest thing is they need to try to emulate the early Disney era. I was hoping Samurai would be like Ninja Storm Dino Thunder or SPD. But nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    The biggest thing is they need to try to emulate the early Disney era. I was hoping Samurai would be like Ninja Storm Dino Thunder or SPD. But nope.
    Exaaactly. But I guess that's partially on me for expecting Saban to be in proper form after so many years being out of the game.

I do miss the Zordon era... Say what you will about the cheesiness or the campiness, the show still had a charm back then and made up for its short coming with so many other things. There was character development; because we really did watch these characters grow up and move on to new parts of their lives. And most of the time, there were soundtracks! Vocal soundtracks with plenty of songs to enjoy. The amount of production they put in, especially during the MMPR days, could have easily rivaled whatever was happening in Sentai at the time.

How long has it been since we had that? How long has it been since the Opening Theme in Power Rangers had a full version? How long has it been since there was a new vocal song for the fight scenes or the Megazord scenes? How long has it been since the sixth Ranger had their own vocal theme song? Answer: Too long.

I'd really like this movie to try and do the same. Even the original MMPR movie and the Turbo movie were smart enough to have soundtracks and throw some (if not all) of those songs into the movie itself. I hope this new movie follows that example and actually tries to inject some fun, feel-good music. This is Power Rangers we're talking about; rainbow colored super heroes with giant, combining robots. A theme song and battle music is fine, but the experience should still be fun! A fun experience can make people forgive or ignore some of the weirder creative decisions a movie makes, like ugly CGI vomit they call Zords.