Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Uh what? That does not make any sense. The dub for the new show will be great as long as the company that licenses it actually puts care into the dub. It does not matter if it has all new voices or not. I would rather have Brina Palencia play Luna than the lady that did her in the original. Sonny Strait should play Artemis. I don't want nor give a crap about the previous VAs from the show, especially when they didn't even sound like 14 year old girls 20 years ago.

If they can make the original VAs sound like the characters in the new show then fine, they should only be casted after auditioning for the role just like everyone else as long as they are the best pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I love how manga accurate these designs are. I just hope they do the entire manga and not just the Beryl saga for the third time.

There are 60 chapters in the manga so the show should be able to easily pull off 60 episodes with one episode per chapter.
    In other words, this is Sailor Moon Kai, huh. Or is it, Sailor Moon Sisterhood?
    *Signature picture removed - TOO WIDE*
    MAX PERMITTED SIG SIZE = 500x165

READ THE SIG GUIDELINES TO SEE THE RULES REGARDING SIGS AT HJU.

Professional Chef and Entertainer FlameDragon's Avatar

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...un-26-episodes

apparently the series will last only 26 episodes, i really hope this ends up becoming a jojo's bizarre adventure situation where there will be a new season after the show ends and will cover the next arc of the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by PalleteRider View Post
    Kamen Riders are fill with candy and chocolate - like a walking pinata. That's why the bad guys wanted them destroyed so badly, to get the candy inside :3

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!" Sentaifan'07 Xman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kamil88 View Post
    Really looking forward to that, im very happy to see Ms. Kotono Mitsuishi back as Sailor Moon, but i'm looking forward to hear new voices (I know Ms. Koshimizu and Ms. Itou from Precure Series) i really hope they will do whole series, not just Dark Kingdom arc
    Likewise.

World of Kabuto: How does Souji eat if can't take off the helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post

apparently the series will last only 26 episodes, i really hope this ends up becoming a jojo's bizarre adventure situation where there will be a new season after the show ends and will cover the next arc of the manga.
    If so, then the series will run for about 1 whole year, since it only airs the first and third Saturday of every month.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiEchidna View Post
    I see your point, but I only partially agree.

Considering Funimation's track record, I don't doubt that they could bring back a lot of the original voice actors if not all of them. But since this is the uncut version we are talking about and since it's been a LONG time since anyone has seen anything Sailor Moon related, I think recasting would be fine. Funimation has some of the best voice actors in the business under their belts, and I'd really love to see their take on it.

But most of all, nostalgia isn't everything. What matters most is honoring the original creative vision of Naoko Takeuchi and Toei, and I have to think that Naoko and Toei feel the same since they are willing to recast the other Sailor Scouts for Crystal. I also think Funimation has worked with enough of Toei's works to put Toei and anyone associated with them at ease. From what I've heard, Naoko didn't like the original dub of Sailor Moon and is apprehensive about handing over the rights again, but Funimation has really proven how trustworthy they are over the years.
    I love the manga, but I don't like the DIC version's edits so to speak. I just like most of the voices from there and the music, so if it was thrown into a blender with the Japanese orchestral music and the original manga plot-line, that would be an ideal scenario. The second dub until it stopped at Starlights had great music, but still was a bit off with cuts and different voices.

Nostalgia isn't everything? Let's tell that to Hollywood where yearly, they make films that bank on nostalgia and collectively make billions from it. I'm not expecting the same exact edits or the same sequences like was down with the DIC version, however, how does the original creative vision contradict with having the same cast brought back? The scripts will be different and Funimation has a far more professional output than either DIC or Cloverway combined. This would imply that any dub that utilizes the original cast would be likely far different in execution than the previous attempts ever strived and achieved. Just look at the commissioned early Dragon Ball Z dub for Fox Kids versus subsequent versions. Nearly the same cast [save for the child actor playing Gohan] with accurate to the Japanese scripts [with leeway] and original music marks this idea as a fallacy. If the DBZ dub can have its actors back somewhat, why can't Sailor Moon? The entire Dragon Ball franchise was dubbed almost 20 years ago, so the excuse of not using as many voice actors that they can falls flat on its face.. And by the way, the original cast sounded as much like teenagers as any other teenagers portrayed on animated series.

It is hardly about who is the "best", when largely, the only people who will be watching this show [unless it isn't graphic and can be aired around 8 PM like Korra] will be the audience that watched the show in the first place as children. Sailor Moon should be marketed in North America when people who aren't nerds or a limited audience can watch the show. I.e. kids. The way Korra is handled on Nick should be the same way that Sailor Moon should be handled in the United States. That show is dark and had intense themes and footage, but it can be seen in the mornings and at night on 8. Any controversy wouldn't be hard to gloss over anyways with cuts for the morning/day version versus the uncut version.

------

If they follow the manga, the only possible issues will be Uranus and Neptune alongside the few villains that were gay or in drag. The Starlights, if done like the manga, should be fine anyways as it pretty much follows a Mulan-like concept. The violence could be acceptable and the manga was hardly sexual, so it should go over well in America today, especially on today's Cartoon Network.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post

That just doesn't make sense to me. Why the hell is the show airing every other week? And why is it only 26 episodes when it needs to be around 50 to cover the entire manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    If they follow the manga, the only possible issues will be Uranus and Neptune alongside the few villains that were gay or in drag.
    How are any of those issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    How are any of those issues?
    I'm talking about if they air it on something that isn't populated by stoners and nerds, like the current block that is optioning for the airing rights is.

If they were to air it like on Cartoon Network proper to compete with Korra, it would have to deal with these issues if it became successful.Is it not a big deal as it was? No, but even PB and Marceline were implied until the recent two seasons than explicit as in Sailor Moon. If they aim for a TV-PG rating like Korra, they could certainly get away with these themes more than the original ratings for the dubs in question would allow.

This is my question. If the series' dub is aiming for the nerd niche that grew up with the dubs, wouldn't it make sense to appeal to that niche so they will tune in and buy the videos?

If not, then putting the show on a block watched by a closed niche is horrible marketing logic.

Lurker

I would hope that American networks are past the rather childish need to edit out Any Hint Of Teh Ghey.

Then again, I would hope they were past it ten years ago, and they weren't, so.