Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Paleo Sentai Dinoman

Plot:
    Terra Nova is an organization of world-renown scientists, economists and other members of academia. Having existed for over a century it claims its purpose to be the cultivation of young minds and further advancement of the world, but its ultimate goal is the extinction of humanity and repopulation by a new, superior civilization. Students of high IQ are recruited into the fold, enticing them with promises of fame and a chance to prove their intellect.
    Dr. Richard Terran, a former Terra Nova member who abandoned the organization, soon discovers that Operation “Alexandria” is about to commence. Knowing his time is running out, he passes on all the information he could save on the group to one of his students, Gregory Diem, with the hope that Terra Nova can be destroyed for good before it is too late.
    Among the information Terran passes down is the specs for the Dinomen, a derivative of a project designed to create battle suits infused with the biological data of lifeforms. As things turn bleaker, Gregory must recruit four fellow students into the Dinoman team...

Heroes:
    Adrian Fernandez - Red Dino
    Motif Animal: Spinosaurus (reptile)
    Major: Chemistry/Chemical Engineering
    Bio: A cynic who carries a dim view of people. He's put off by Blue's idealism and sense of moral duty, seeing his fervor as nothing more than a desire for vengeance.

Gregory Diem - Blue Dino
    Motif Animal: Dunkleosteus (fish)
    Major: Biotechnology
    Bio: One of Dr. Terran's Master’s students, and the inheritor of all Terran's info on Terra Nova and the Dinomen. Naively optimistic and by-the-book, but harbors a strong loyalty and protectiveness toward his friends and superiors.

Danny Qian - Green Dino
    Motif Animal: Prionosuchus (amphibian)
    Major: Mechanical Engineering
    Bio: Bears a practical wisdom beyond his years, but is an underachiever academically and bears feelings of inadequacy. He and Red learn they are both rivals in a “fight club” off campus, and start to form a friendship that might not have existed.

Kay Zaura - Pink Dino
    Motif animal: Andrewsarchus (mammal)
    Major: Business
    Bio: An unimposing girl whose younger sister Jennifer has joined Terra Nova. Next to Red she is the most hesitant to join the team, but is gradually hardened by what she faces.

Alexa Varga - White Dino
    Motif animal: Argentavis (bird)
    Major: N/A
    Bio: One of Pink's few close friends. Orphaned young, she is the only one of the group to have never attended college, but helps manage a small cafe off campus. While having relative success compared to her academia peers, she bears a continual sense of loneliness and a peculiarly strong maternal instinct.

Mecha:
    DinoRobo - A giant robot originally built for use in construction. It can convert into a ship mode and dock to an upper "crew" section for travel.

Arsenal:
    GenBuckle - Transformation device.
    C-14 Sniper - Team rifles with gatling, single-shot, and sword modes.
    Cosmic Vanisher - Team cannon.

Vehicles:
    Raptor - Red's motorcycle.
    Moschops - A jeep used by the rest of the team. The Cosmic Vanisher attaches on top.

Villains:
    Terra Nova was founded by a group of elite intellectuals at the beginning of the 20th century. It consists of three Armies:

'Greenshirts': Human members who don personalized suits of armor.
    Biotheres: Lab-created monsters bearing the genetic makeups of prehistoric flora and fauna.
    Ecodroids: Robots designed for military use.

Neo Sentai Novaman: A rival team for the Dinoman made up of Terra Nova students.

Article 1: New Earth – Part 1

To the rest of the world it was a typical day. People went about with their business in the city. Most were plugged into a plethora of electronic devices; at once connected to the world and unaware of the coming horror.

At the college campus students went about like normal. One girl clutched the shoulder strap of her bag as she hurriedly exited an on-campus store, late for class. Just then a loud roar pierced the air. The girl knocked into someone who was looking up at something above, along with others. She glared at her obtruder, but then followed the gaze of the others to see what had caught everyone’s attention.

Jet fighters resembling giant birds flew over the city. A squadron broke off from the main force and began descending toward the ground. At first some though this was some kind of unannounced stunt show, but the fighters were coming in much too close. Too few realized the truth. The jets fired on the crowd, tearing up the ground and leaving the first wave of death in their wake. The buildings of the campus were next. Soon people were scrambling in all directions looking to escape the bombing.

The nameless fighters did not attack indiscriminately; only the parts of the city where the college properties lay were targeted for destruction. Those that managed to evade the fighters on campus were met by a troop of Mechadrones, silver-grey robotic soldiers that bore a large emblem of a gear with an eye at the center on their bodies. These proceeded to coldly gun down those attempting to flee. The police on scene could do nothing. No help seemed in sight.

But suddenly a figure in a blue protective suit ran toward the menace, a rifle strapped to his back. Coming behind him were four more, clad respectively in green, white, pink and red. The blue figure drew his rifle and fired on the robots before they could kill another group of people. Some fell down in a shower of sparks, but their companions went on to meet this opponent without care.

The team of five stood now together, baring their path.
    “Who are you?” the lead Mechadrone asked in a monotone voice. The five looked at each other and then slowly declared:
    “Blue Dino”
    “Green Dino”
    “Red Dino”
    “Pink Dino”
    “White Dino”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Opening Theme plays*
    (Kagaku Sentai Dynaman Opening Theme)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One month earlier…

Gregory Diem awoke to realize he had left his laptop on again. Groggily he closed the monitor and forced himself out of bed. Going to bed while watching or listening to something online had become a bad habit, but with a mind as active as his, simply falling asleep in silence felt maddening.

After washing the sleep from his face he looked for whatever food was left in the off-campus apartment he shared with his roommate. Gregory wondered where he was. Perhaps at another club all night. He was the direct opposite of Gregory in most ways. They had only paired together so that Gregory could remain at their Californian university and complete his master’s thesis on time. Speaking of which, Dr. Richard Terran whom Greg worked under wanted to see him today. He must want a follow-up on my progress, he thought. The short answer would be, not much. More time lazing about and less on his work. Which led back to his keeping the laptop on all night.

Greg didn’t need to see Terran for a few hours, so he decided to head to the lab and get more work done.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Oretachi no yume wa soko ni atta’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

He strode across campus under the early morning sun, perhaps the only student with a cheerful demeanor. Into the biology department and up an elevator to the highest floor. Terran was only one of two professors who had taken up residence here, the other being Dr. Thomas Creel. It felt like ascending into a level of heaven, if he dared to be so bold. And given the wondrous project these two were working on it seemed fitting, as it gave the place an additional aura of intrigue. Greg entered his usual room where he saw an undergraduate hunched over a microscope with an agar plate and glass pick.
    “Zev!” he greeted cheerfully, making the student jump. “Don’t do that” he replied. He looked back down the microscope at the plate and cursed under his breath.
    “How’s the picking going?” Greg continued. He gently moved Zev aside and looked at the plate. A colony of C. elegans nematode worms were crawling on and through their bacteria food supply. Large pieces of agar had been gorged out in Zev’s attempts at picking worms onto new plates.
    “Don’t gouge the plates so much, or the worms will get out of reach.”
    “Easier said” Zev muttered. Greg smirked again. “Hey, at least you’re not picking fruit flies.”
    “Flies look easier than this” said Zev as he resumed his work. “But all the same I’d rather get a start on what you and Terran are doing. It’s the only reason anyone ever wants to work here.”
    “One step at a time” said Greg.

He put his stuff down near a table and began leafing through his lab book, when suddenly Richard Terran popped his head in.
    “Greg!” he said with a bit of nervous surprise, which Greg found peculiar.
    “Doctor” he replied. “I wanted to see you about - ”
    “Yes, yes” Terran interrupted. He was definitely worked up over something, which clashed with his normally happy, relaxed demeanor. “I want to see you in my office for a bit. Leave your stuff there” he gestured to Greg’s book. Greg gave Zev a confused look, but did as he was told and followed Terran to his office. He sat down in front of his disordered desk and looked directly at his teacher and mentor.

Richard Terran didn’t typify the image of an academic. His usual fashion choice was an open-collar button shirt with a large, exposed gold chain around his neck, giving him an Italian mobster look. He had the hair and face of a movie star who had seen better days. And while many science professors used Powerpoints that lacked any real creativity in their lectures, were colored with humor, sarcasm and self-deprecation. But despite all that he was renowned in the scientific community for the groundbreaking research he and his colleagues were doing, and when he had allowed Greg to work in his lab, the young biotech student from Iowa couldn’t have been more thrilled.

“Are you alright?” asked Greg. Terran forced a smile and waved off his concern.
    “Nothing for you to worry about. I’ve been through worse.”
    Greg wasn’t convinced, but he waited for the scientist to continue.
    “First, I want to say that you’re one of my best students in my time here. Your GPA may not reflect it as well as it could, but you have the curiosity and drive that I want to see. Plus you have a practical goal. Not to speak ill of my colleagues, but many of them work on what’re essentially pet projects. Whims with no relevance to anyone.”
    Greg felt flattered. “Thank you. Though some might say Respawn has no good purpose.”
    “To put in mildly” said Terran with a smile. “You know more than anyone else in my lab about the Respawn Project, but you don’t…” he paused and drew a careful breath. “You don’t know everything. It’s time I told you everything.”
    Greg looked at Terran quizzically. “You make this sound like some big secret.” The Respawn Project was perhaps the boldest endeavor in science since the Human Genome Project. From the moment it was first announced every religious, political and academic pundit had went at it, ranging from praise to vitriol.
    “Just meet me here tonight after classes are done. No, about an hour after. I don’t want anyone around.”
    Now Greg was more confused than ever. What was so important and secret that Terran wanted to meet him again at night?
    “Alright, Greg? Good, now get back to your work. You seem to be slacking off since your last presentation.”

Terran flashed his characteristic jesting smile, and Greg felt a bit more comfortable. As the two left the office they ran into an unexpected face: Greg’s roommate. He looked as though he had been leaning against the wall near the door and jumped when they appeared.
    “What are you doing here?” Greg asked.
    “Oh, nothing…. Just thought you would be here” he mumbled back.
    “Well, what is it?”
    “Could you get some more food today? I don’t get paid till the end of the week so I’m short - ”
    “Sure” said Greg. His roommate gave an odd look to Terran and disappeared. Terran began to feel nervous again. Greg returned to the lab, where by now most of the other members had come in for the day: a couple of undergrads and one or two more graduate students. Two of them were arguing over use of an autoclave further down the hall. Greg sat down at a small table in a corner and resumed reviewing his notes, soon forgetting the ominous nature of his mentor’s request…

Noon, free hour. The girls’ volleyball team was wrapping up a practice on the borrowed football field. Janine Muniz turned from her chatty teammates and saw that they had an audience. A young man, Adrian Fernandez, was sitting on a motorcycle in the parking lot across from the field. Propped on the handlebars was a copy of The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Janine waved and gave him five fingers to indicate that she would be there in five minutes. Once five minutes had passed she has come out from the locker room fully changed and walked to meet him.
    “Enjoyed the show?” she teased.
    Adrian shrugged. Janine seemed to have expected a different response but let it pass.
    “Thanks for picking me up.”
    “No problem. Get on - ” Adrian tried to put his book away but Janine suddenly swiped it from his hand. “The Art of War?”
    “Yes.”
    “Is this for a class?”
    Adrian took the book back. “No, for me.”
    “Oh.”
    Adrian frowned. He was finding Sun Tzu’s pen quite meaningful, yet Janine’s response sounded like an indifferent dismissal. “Well there goes my recommending it to you.”
    “Sorry, I have no time to read anything these days” Adrian saw her type something with her thumb on the keypad before putting on her helmet. Janine caught his skeptical gaze.
    “I do read.”
    “What’s the last book you read… that wasn’t some pop culture junk?”
    Janine scrolled through her mind for something but came up empty.
    “Ha” Adrian pointed his finger with a victorious laugh. “No time to read anything good.”
    “Just drive” As Adrian started his bike he felt Janine’s arms wrap around his waist. For a moment he half-expected her head on his shoulder, but she gave no more hints, if any, of something more than hitching a ride from a friend.

Together they rode to the train station where Janine was to meet a friend. Along the way she restarted the conversation.
    “Did you decide whether to leave or not?”
    Adrian paused. He had for some time now been contemplating dropping out of his Master’s program and leaving school. Actually he had thought of leaving before then, but felt an obligation to stick it out a bit more. Now though he was completely sick of college life.
    “I went to the office yesterday. But I haven’t gone through with anything.”
    “I think you should at least finish your degree. You already started. What have you to lose?”
    “A lot” Adrian replied almost inaudibly. More than most people would think.
    “You really should talk more about these things.”
    “What are you, my therapist? Do you have a couch I can lie down on with you beside me?”
    Janine snorted. “You’d like that.”

When they arrived at the station the rush hour crowd had long since dispersed, leaving some breathing room for the regular travelers. Janine dismounted and restored the spare helmet.
    “How are you coming back?” Adrian asked.
    “We’re taking the bus. Thanks for the lift.” She suddenly snapped her fingers, remembering something. “We’re going out for dinner tonight, you want to come along?”
    Adrian wasn’t sure. “Won’t I be the odd man out?”
    “Come on, you need to get out more.”
    “I do. Actually I have someplace to be tonight.”
    “Oh…” Janine tried to guess the rest of the story through Adrian’s face, but he laughed her off. “Whatever you think, you’re wrong.” He was glad she couldn’t see his blistered feet at this moment.
    “I’d better not see you on the town tonight then.”
    “You won’t. Now get outta here.”
    “I’ll see you then” Janine lightly brushed her hand over Adrian’s arm and smiled. Adrian gave a slight wave and with his eyes followed her to the entrance. An interesting specimen of female, to say the least. It was a wonder she wasn’t seeing anyone. He mulled over that fact a moment more and then rode away…

Afternoon. Kay Zahau was barely keeping her eyes open as she propped her head on her hand. The one comfort she could get from this utterly boring hour and a half of class time was that this was an elective. When at last the professor dismissed them she almost slept through it. Maybe she could just skip it and come up with some reason for her mother why she came home early.

On the way out she passed by Danny Qian, a classmate who usually sat a distance away. He caught sight of her gaze and gave a polite acknowledging nod. To Kay’s knowledge he was the only other Burmese person she had encountered outside family or community get-togethers, a fact that had initially piqued her interest in him. Or so she told herself as she looked away. Her cell phone then rang. Kay stopped near an old unused phone booth in a corner of the hall as the boy disappeared.
    “Hello?”
    “Kay” her mother’s annoyed voice answered. “Do you know where you sister is?”
    “I don’t know… maybe still in the lab.”
    “Could you please tell her to come home early tonight? She’s not answering her phone.”
    Kay sighed inside. She immediately sensed there would be trouble. “Ok. I’ll try.”
    Her mother hung up without even a good-bye. Kay went on to the top floor where she guessed Jennifer was.

Sure enough she found her in a small conference room outside a professor’s office opposite from a lab room. Her back was toward her, and she was chatting with some labmates. On some of their bags or clothing was a small pin shaped like a blue eagle. Kay knocked on the door.
    “Jen”
    Jen turned and looked at her sister strangely, as though she had never expected, or wanted, the likes of her to be here.
    “What?”
    “Can I talk to you for a minute?”
    Jen sighed and excused herself from the group. Kay brought her out into the hall.
    “Mom wants you to come home early tonight.”
    Jen grit her teeth. “I told her and Dad I was busy. I have work to do here.”
    “Didn’t look like work in there to me” Kay muttered.
    “What would you know?”
    Kay frowned at her. “Do you have to have an attitude every time someone asks you a favor?”
    “I wouldn’t if you listened to me when I tell you something.”
    “What are you doing here anyway? You have to be at it day and night?”
    “I can’t talk about it. Not yet.”
    “Look can’t you just quit early tonight? Just humor Mom.”
    Jen groaned. “I don’t get it. Mom and Dad make a big deal about college, and now when I’ve made it they don’t want me to be here?”
    “Well maybe they made a mistake” Kay said quietly. Jen gave her a nasty glare, then stormed back into the room. Kay went to pursue her but she took her bag and roughly brushed past her.

Jen’s friends, having overheard their loud voices, stared after her and at Kay. Something about them made her uncomfortable. She went back down the hall toward the elevator and roughly slammed the down button. Gregory was coming up the main staircase when he saw Jen descend in a fit. At the top he saw Kay just getting into the elevator. “Kay?” he thought. He hadn’t seen her in a long time. Too bad he had just missed her, he would have liked to say hello. He passed an open classroom and saw the first colors of the evening sky through the window. Everything looked as normal as ever. Everything today felt normal. Maybe he was overthinking Terran’s actions this morning. In another few hours he would be meeting him again. There was probably nothing to worry about…

Evening. Amidst complaint from some of his labmates, Gregory had told them to turn in early tonight. He sat at a bench fiddling with a bottle of sodium chloride while he waited for Terran. The entire floor was nearly deserted. Being here alone as night approached felt a bit creepy. Each random noise sounded louder. Soon Greg began walking around the lab and periodically looked out into the hall for Terran, but he did not come. Had something happened to him? He would have called if so. Finally, getting hungry and tired, he decided to get a late bite to eat and call it a night. Whatever Terran wanted him to know could wait for tomorrow.

Greg exited the building and went off campus into the town. He chose a small hole-in-the-wall joint across from the large forest-like park to get a sandwich when he saw what looked like Terran going inside. Who would go in there at this hour? Why was Terran here and not at the lab? Forgetting about his growling stomach Greg began to follow him inside. Terran went down the winding path until he reached a small thicket almost completely shrouded in the darkness. Greg was more and more confused. This wasn’t like Terran at all.

Terran stopped inside the thicket and stood still, as though waiting for something. Greg started to approach him but a strange animal noise stopped him. He hid behind a tree and peeked around as he saw another figure meet Terran.
    “I’m glad you made it, Richard.” The voice sounded muffled. Greg strained his vision and saw that the figure was wearing some type of suit and helmet. The lack of light hid any further detail.
    “How did you know my plans tonight?”
    “I sent Mr. Diem’s roommate to see what you were doing. He never caught on as to what I was asking of him. It doesn’t take much to get these stupid children to do what you want. I can’t imagine why you changed your mind.”
    The voice seemed to carry a British accent, Greg thought. He leaned in closer.
    “You have removed your pin as well…” Greg realized he meant Terran’s blue eagle Terra Nova pin that he always wore prominently. He hadn’t worn it this morning. How did he miss that?
    “I can understand not agreeing with my plan, but to reject our organization all together? When you once championed it like no one else?”
    “You could say I’ve had an epiphany” Terran replied. “I now see the evil. And I won’t go along with it.”
    “Did you expect we would let you just leave like that? At the very least we would want you to destroy your information on us, at least what the rest of the world doesn’t know.”
    “I have.”
    “Liar” the figure spat. “I know what you tried to tell that boy.”
    “Respawn has nothing to do with “Alexandria” or Terra Nova’s goal.”
    “Of course it does! Did you think this was all just to play God? There was always a greater purpose for the creatures we created. In fact I have brought one that you abandoned.”

*BGM plays*
    (‘Volt, Kougeki Kaishi (1)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

The animal noise sounded again. The shrouded figure yanked a chain and brought another figure to stand beside him. Greg knelt in his hiding place, frozen in surprise and fear. He could see three horns protruding from the body. It stood like a human but sounded like a feral beast.
    “You didn’t tame it” Terran observed, trying to sound as objective and unafraid as possible.
    “No, this one has been a bit of a hassle. But for tonight’s purposes he’ll do.”
    “Purposse?” asked Terran, though he felt he already knew.
    “Goodbye Richard. I wish it could have ended differently.”
    Terran began to run away, but the armored man released the man-beast. It caught up with and gored Terran with its horns.
    “DOCTOR!”
    Greg burst out of his hiding place. The man-beast saw him and started to attack but its master caught his chain again and dragged him back. The two locked their gazes upon each other until he snorted and quickly disappeared into the shadows. He whipped out his phone and dialed 911 while trying to do something to stop the bleeding.
    “Don’t… say anything…” Terran muttered. Greg continued his frenzied efforts without having heard him. Terran grabbed his collar and pulled him close.
    “Don’t tell anyone what happened.”
    “But - ”
    “Do you understand?! You found me here…. You saw nothing.”
    Greg didn’t understand this request, but Terran tightened his grip and looked into his eyes. “… Swear it!”
    Greg nodded. There was nothing he could do. He only hoped the ambulance could arrive in time.
    “They’ll be here soon. Hold on.”
    But Terran reached into his pocket and, with some effort, took out a set of keys and gave it to his student.
    “Go to the basement lab... it has everything you need.”
    “The one with the cryowell?”
    Terran nodded. He was beginning to fade. Greg propped his head up with his arm.
    “Don’t go! They’re coming!”
    The sirens were echoing in the distance. Terran’s eyes felt heavier and heavier.
    “Whatever I could save… is in there. Keep it safe… don’t let them succeed…”
    “Doctor! DOCTOR!!”

But he saw the spirit of life leave his teacher. He fought back tears as he cradled his mentor’s body. He only let go once the EMTs arrived too late to do anything and pushed him aside. A police car had arrived as well and an officer was coming to meet him. Greg tried to compose himself. He hid away the keys and Terran’s last words.

“Don’t let them succeed.”

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*
    (‘The City Lights’ by Umbrellas)

Next Time
    *Next Episode Promo Theme 1 plays*
    (‘Yokoku Ongaku’ from Ninja Sentai Kakuranger)

Gregory recovers Dr. Terran’s information on Terra Nova and the Dinoman Project; Terra Nova begins its attack on the worlds’ universities; Blue Dino, alone, faces Galton XII to avenge Terran.

Awesome man. Excited for the next episode.

Thank you. I hope to release each Dinoman and GAIEA chapter one after the other. GAIEA chapter 1 was released today, so expect Dinoman chapter 2 sometime soon.

Article 2: New Earth – Part 2

“To put in mildly” said Terran with a smile. “You know more than anyone else in my lab about the Respawn Project, but you don’t…” he paused and drew a careful breath. “You don’t know everything. It’s time I told you everything.”
    Greg looked at Terran quizzically. “You make this sound like some big secret.” The Respawn Project was perhaps the boldest endeavor in science since the Human Genome Project. From the moment it was first announced every religious, political and academic pundit had went at it, ranging from praise to vitriol.
    “Just meet me here tonight after classes are done. No, about an hour after. I don’t want anyone around.”
    Now Greg was more confused than ever. What was so important and secret that Terran wanted to meet him again at night?

“Goodbye Richard. I wish it could have ended differently.”
    Terran began to run away, but the armored man released the man-beast. It caught up with and gored Terran with its horns.
    “TERRAN!”
    Greg burst out of his hiding place. The man-beast saw him and started to attack but its master caught his chain again and dragged him back. The two locked their gazes upon each other until he snorted and quickly disappeared into the shadows. He whipped out his phone and dialed 911 while trying to do something to stop the bleeding.
    “Don’t… say anything…” Terran muttered. Greg continued his frenzied efforts without having heard him. Terran grabbed his collar and pulled him close.
    “Don’t tell anyone what happened.”
    “But - ”
    “Do you understand?! You found me here…. You saw nothing.”
    Greg didn’t understand this request, but Terran tightened his grip and looked into his eyes. “… Swear it!”
    Greg nodded. There was nothing he could do. He only hoped the ambulance could arrive in time.
    “They’ll be here soon. Hold on.”
    But Terran reached into his pocket and, with some effort, took out a set of keys and gave it to his student.
    “Go to the basement lab... it has everything you need.”
    “The one with the super freezer?”
    Terran nodded. He was beginning to fade. Greg propped his head up with his arm.”
    “Don’t go yet! They’re coming soon!”
    The sirens were echoing in the distance. Terran’s eyes felt heavier and heavier.
    “Whatever I could save… is in there. Keep it safe… don’t let them succeed…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Opening Theme plays*

A memorial service for Richard Terran was held soon after his death was announced. Gregory and his labmates played no special role, but rather stood quietly while Terran’s closest associate Dr. Creel made a rambling eulogy. For some reason Creel’s British accent made the speech feel a bit pompous and overcompensating. Or was it something else? Gregory couldn’t tell. He paid little attention to the words spoken, but rather to Terran’s last words and the key he had passed to him. When the service was concluded he caught a glimpse of Kay again somewhere in the back, but this time made no move to pursue her. Instead he went with his labmates to pass away the evening.

Kay’s mind was preoccupied as well. She had looked for her sister in the audience but caught no sight of her. Since their argument they had not spoken, not even at home when she did manage to check in. Even their parents went little heeded as Jennifer continued to mutter irritably about stuff she had to go and either staying in her room or leaving the house altogether. Kay wandered off campus and into a small café nearby. Closing time was soon approaching, so the crowd was minimal. She found her friend Alexa Varga wiping down the counter when she looked up to see her.
    “Hi” she greeted. “Coffee?”
    “Sure” Kay sat on a stool at the counter and propped her head on her hand.
    “How was the service?”
    “Ok…” She fingered a lock of her hair. The dull golden-yellow highlights, her one-time concession to vain fashion, were almost completely faded. Alexa passed her the paper cup and stirrer.
    “Did you know the guy who died?”
    “What? Oh no… actually I just wanted to find Jennifer.”
    Alexa sighed. “Just let her cool off. She’ll come around sooner or later.”
    “You’re not the one being ignored.”
    “You both said some stuff you regret. It happens.”
    “I just want to say I’m sorry” Kay swirled the stirrer in the coffee. “She won’t even let me have that.”
    “Seems to me she should be apologizing.”

Kay shrugged. Honestly, Jennifer should be the first to do so. But Kay could never stay mad or hold a grudge for long. As soon as a problem arose she wanted to get it settled and move on no matter who was at fault. Jennifer on the other hand always stood her ground. She looked back at her hair. Maybe she was too yielding, which was why she couldn’t gain any respect when it mattered.

The door opened again and someone took a seat at the counter. Kay turned around and gave a start when she saw Danny next to her.
    “Oh, hi.”
    “Hello” Danny replied. “Lex, gimmie a water” he asked Alexa. As she went to the cooler to get a bottle he passed his fingers over bruised and scratched knuckles.
    “What happened to you?” asked Kay, seeing this.
    “Nothing. Just knocked into something.” Danny looked at the girl, hoping she would buy it, which she seemed to. Or at least she decided not to pry. “So… how’s it going?”
    Kay shrugged. “Fine. Just… fine.” Danny seemed to be eyeing her with interest. He looked to be searching for something more to say to fill the awkward silence. Kay wasn’t sure whether to be flattered or uncomfortable. Alexa came back with the water and tossed it to him.
    “Should I as this to your tab or will you actually pay up this time?”
    Danny grinned and fished his pocket for a handful of cash. “Keep the change.”
    “You give people credit here?” Kay asked.
    “For those desperate enough” Alexa chided. “Say, you’re the business major, why don’t you teach him how to handle money?”
    “You talk like I’m some gambler or something” Danny muttered.
    “Well” said Alexa, flipping through the money he had given, “I’d like to know where you keep getting such cash all of a sudden when you don’t work.”
    “Don’t tease him” said Kay. “Maybe his parents give him some spending money.”

She didn’t mean it cruelly, but Danny pressed his lips together, feeling a bit embarrassed.
    “I’m sorry…”
    “Forget it” Danny waved her off. “I’m sure most of us are living off family these days. Except for you” he pointed to Alexa. “You make people wish they’d skipped college entirely.”
    Alexa had tensed for a moment. She got no money from her family because she had no family. None biological in any case, none that she knew of. But Danny had remarked on the other thing: she had never been to college, having received this job by sheer luck a few years ago. Now she practically ran the place and catered to her peers who did pursue higher education but often weren’t financially independent.
    “Well I’m closing up soon, so you two can walk each other home.”
    She gave a knowing look to Kay, who pretended to ignore it. They left the café together and walked to the bus stop. Kay was going one way, and Danny another.
    “Well, good night.”
    “Good night” As Danny crossed the street to catch the arriving bus, Kay saw her dab some of the water on his knuckles…

Adrian dried his blistered feet after having soaked them in the tub. He then ambled to his bed where some suitcases lay open with his belongings. Once he finalized the drop-out he hoped to be out of here before anyone could notice. All he needed to get now was some belongings from his locker in the lab building.

He lay next to the luggage and flexed his toes. His opponent at the fight club had been his usual rival, one practiced in Muay Thai. He was one of the few who could well match Adrian’s capoeira and cut into his winnings. The fight club had been started in the basement of a local bar after the university had, against popular opinion, discontinued the boxing, wrestling, and other combative sports teams and clubs on campus. In order to keep the club secret, only a few were allowed to join and new recruits could replace old members if they won enough matches. Everyone covered their faces so no one could point out one another; only through studying their fighting styles could one ascertain the other’s identity. Money was made through betting, which gave all the more reason to keep the enterprise from gaining attention. Nonetheless, Adrian enjoyed it. In fact it was one of the few things these days he could get any pleasure out of.

His phone rang. Seeing the number, he knew it was Janine.
    “Hello?”
    “Hey there”
    “Hey yourself.”
    “Were you at the memorial?”
    Memorial? Adrian thought for a second until he remembered Dr. Terran had been found dead just a few days ago.
    “No… I had some things to take care of.”
    “But you knew him, didn’t you?”
    “I had a class with him a while back, if that’s what you mean.”
    Janine paused. “I really think you should have gone.”
    Adrian frowned. Why was she suddenly getting on his case? “Did I miss something important? What’s the problem?”
    “You don’t think it’s a big deal to miss a service for a teacher of yours?”
    Now Adrian was annoyed. Janine could sometimes get a bit bossy. It almost felt like they were a couple.
    “Where were you?”
    “I told you, out doing stuff.”
    “Well are you free tonight? I’m thinking of eating out near the waterfront.”
    “By yourself?”
    “Well if you come with me, then no.”
    Adrian flexed. He still felt a bit sore from last night. “I don’t know… I don’t think I feel up to it.”
    There was silence on the other end. Then Janine said “Fine. I’ll guess I’ll see you around.”
    “I’m sorry”
    “Me too… good night.”

Adrian heard disappointment in her voice. For a moment he was troubled, but then dismissed it. Janine got this way sometimes for reasons he couldn’t say, but she would be back to her usual self the next time he saw her. Maybe that time he would take her up on the invitation…

For the month since Terran’s death, Creel had taken over the running of the lab. Most of them didn’t care for his seemingly aloof and unsympathetic approach. Often he would come in for only a minute or two and then disappear for the rest of the day. Only Gregory, who had all but officially become the head of the team, kept their spirits high. Despite his own angst he tried to maintain as positive an atmosphere as possible, and days after the memorial was back to his usual self, at least among them. As far as he knew, Terran had not disclosed any of his secrets to the others.

At night he would go to the basement-level lab when no one would be around to disturb him. This was the remaining level of the old science building that had stood before it was redesigned a few years back. It had an abandoned appearance; few people still used the facilities and sounds would hauntingly reverberate down the halls. But Terran and Creel considered it ideal for the Respawn Project.

What was Respawn? A few years ago scientists had discovered, throughout the world, pits within the earth where temperatures could reach -80 degrees Celsius and below. Dubbed “cryowells”, no one could explain their origin, but all were amazed at what was inside: preserved tissues and, in astounding cases, living specimens of long extinct life. Of the latter were only small invertebrates and the occasional plant or fungus; one called it an extreme derivative of the weta’s annual freezing process, or fruit flies and C. elegans nematodes stored in laboratory freezers indefinitely. Nevertheless, the find galvanized the scientific community, and people immediately began researching the possibilities of reviving these long-extinct creatures with such preserved DNA. Thus the Respawn Project was conceived, and Terran and Creel had been at the front lines. Gregory, then an undergrad with an interest in genetically-modified crops, became fascinated with the Project and asked to join Terran’s lab.

Tonight he sat inside the small lab that housed the replica cryowell, feeling like a spy within enemy lines. What information Terran left for him was in bits and pieces, but it began to paint a rather unsavory picture of the renown organization called Terra Nova. He found documents about promoting eugenics going as back as the 1930s, experimentation on body reconstruction that read as insanity, and personal excerpts denouncing the imbecility of the human race and the need of an “elite intelligence” to be bred for control of the world. And that was only scratching the surface.

But Greg’s main focus right now was what Terran called the “Dinoman Project”. It was adapted from an idea of creating protective BioSuits based on the genetic code of certain animals. For example, the DNA sequences that coded for a turtle’s shell would be implemented into the BioSuit’s program and give the user extra defensive capabilities. The idea had been scrapped, but Terran had somehow made it a reality using the DNA of prehistoric animals. Greg opened the file on a dusty computer and was presented with specs of the suits and their abilities:
    Blue Dino – Dunkelosteus: a placoderm fish.
    Green Dino – Prionosuchus: a crocodile-like amphibian.
    Red Dino – Spinosaurus: a theropod dinosaur.
    Pink Dino – Andrewsarchus: a hoofed mammalian predator.
    White Dino – Argentavis: a giant condor-like teratorn bird.

He was lead to a long box containing four golden ovals dubbed “GenBuckles”. Each had placed beside them a petri dish-shaped container containing what looked like DNA microarrays. These apparently housed the DNA that would be the templates for the suits, and were to be inserted into the Buckles. He found another smaller box beside it, this one containing the fifth Buckle. It was the Blue. Greg puzzled at the placement until he found a note placed in the computer folder containing the Dinoman specs. In it Terran had written:

Gregory,

Because of the work on Devonian marine life you have done with me, for which there is not enough thanks, I thought it proper that this suit goes to you. I prayed this Dinoman Project would never come to light, that somehow Terra Nova would not openly carry out its evil and could be defeated through other means… but having not been a praying man most of my life, I suppose it rang on deaf ears. Now I only hope you can find four other people of your character to join this team.

I wish I could have provided you with more information, but much of what I possessed had to be destroyed lest Nova’s agents discovered it. Make as much use of what I have left as you can. Godspeed.

Richard

Greg sat back in the chair and stayed there for a long while. The day Terra Nova carried out its evil… could that have been the “Alexandria” the figure whom Terran had met that fateful night spoke of? He hoped to never see it…

But alas, the day came all too soon. Gregory was making a quick trip to one of the chemistry labs to borrow some material when the attack began. He entered a room with large screenless windows overlooking the street, one of which had been stuck in the open position back when he had taken undergrad chemistry. Today several students had crowded around them in the middle of class to look at something. Blue jets shaped like birds had appeared in the sky and were descending toward the campus. Then the bombardment began. Buildings and ground were ripped apart by artillery. People were felled instantly. Greg pushed through the now panicked class and gaped in horror at what we saw.

The instructor frantically began calling the students away to evacuate, but he was suddenly brought down by someone in a dark green suit of armor. The shoulders and chest were adorned with a blue eagle, and an empty black hole served as the helmet visor. He was the grunt force of the Greenshirts, one of Terra Nova’s three armies.

The one was joined by others. They said nothing, but started shooting all over the room. Greg quickly ducked behind a bench as he heard his peers fall around him. Screams were choked out. Glass shattered and hazardous substances scattered all over. There was no way out except…. Greg looked out the open window. If he recalled, there was a scaffolding placed underneath where workmen had been renovating the building. A plan formed in his head…. If it was still there, this might work.

Greg took out his GenBuckle, which he had kept with him since that night. He placed in on his waist like he saw in the specs. A brown belt and sash wrapped snugly around his body. The soldiers were coming closer. Soon they would kill him too. Seizing the chance, Greg jumped out from behind the bench, narrowly avoided a bullet, and rolled out of the window. As he plummeted a few stories he slid the top of the Buckle from right to left. A blue suit formed over him and replaced his clothing just as he crashed through the scaffolding and landed on the ground. When he stood again he saw what he had become.

It was like he wore a second skin. A tingly feeling covered his body, like so many syringes piercing his skin. Gregory now ran into the campus grounds and the carnage. More green soldiers were there slaughtering innocents while the blue Thunderbird jets gave them aerial support. Greg began to pursue them, fighting off whomever he could catch and saving anyone he could. He dove in the way as two of them shot at a huddle of terrified peers. The Dunkleosteus armoring gave him protection. Greg whipped out the so-named C-14 Rifle from the holster on his back and returned fire. If there was one thing he could easily master, he figured, it was this rifle. Growing up in the Midwest and learning the use of guns now served him tremendously.
    “Get to safety! Go on!”
    “Where?!” yelled one as they stared at his strange costume.
    “Anywhere you can take cover! Move!”

He continued on his desperate, solo crusade, shooting and clubbing as he went…

*BGM plays*
    (‘Volt, kougeki kaishi! (2)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

A young girl began to cry for help as she was stuck under debris, rendering her immobile. As if an answer to her cries, Danny ran over to her and with some effort moved the rubble away.
    “Calm down I'll get you out of here” The girl stared into resolute eyes and was compelled to calm herself. Danny continued to work as the gunfire from the jets continued to echo. Lifting the last piece, he brought the girl back up and carried her on his back
    “Where's your mother? Do you know where she is?”
    The girl cried and shook her head. Danny bit his lip and began running around in search of a safe location when he met eyes with a Thunderbird steadily approaching them. He ran with the girl clinging to his neck. A shot from the jet threw him off his feet and he was blown several feet forward. Danny looked up and found an exit to the street where some cop cars had scrambled to
    “Run over to those cops and don’t leave them. Got that?” The girl obeyed and did not turn back. Danny felt something running down his leg and saw that he was bleeding. He then spotted some of the Greenshirts coming between the girl and the exit. Thinking quickly he gathered up a stone and threw it at them, then began running to draw their fire. By some miracle he was not hit, but continued to run until he had lost them.

In another part of campus, Kay caught the sight of incoming Thunderbirds and ducked for cover as they let loose. “Come on, move!” someone yelled, trying to direct people to safety. But Kay looked around wildly for Jennifer. Calling for her was useless. Getting to her feet, she frightfully ran to and fro, looking for any sign of her sister.

The fighters regrouped and rose up into the air, then took a nosedive down toward the ground, firing blasts at the buildings and fleeing masses before pulling up again. She barely escaped a volley of gunfire from a group of Greenshirts, and could only turn back for a second before reverting her gaze from the horror.

Adrian had gone to see Janine before finishing his business with the registrar when the attack began. His motorcycle skidded to a sudden stop and his helmeted head looked up to the sky after hearing the tremendous crashing noise. Bird-like jets started to attack buildings and people. People in green armor and black-visor helmets picked off the stragglers. Now panicked, Adrian started his bike up again and rode to where Janine was supposed to be.

When he arrived he heard several screams as a building was blown apart.
    “JANINE! JANINE!!”
    He removed his helmet and threw it down, then ran through the dust and smoke to find any sign of her. Instead he found Greenshirts coming his way and had to duck away from their shots. He listened for any sound of his friend and heard nothing. The soldiers were upon him. Cursing to himself Adrian gathered his helmet and tried to flee on his bike. However a shot from a Thunderbird hoisted him up in the air threw him hard into a wall. His bike crashed and burned in a heap nearby, useless. Adrian gasped for breath. His body felt broken.

Finding herself alone and lost, Alexa found herself in a narrow alleyway. But she was not safe here, being vulnerable to raining rubble, so the girl tried to pass through as fast as she could until she found an unlocked door. Opening it led her to the basement level of the edifice, where she could at least be safe from bombardment.

Her luck ran out when she came across a lone, inexperienced Greenshirt. This one appeared female; she jerked her rifle upward and blasted wantonly down the hall. Large gas cylinders happened to be chained against the wall, and some of the shots pierced them and raised a large cloud of smoke between her and Alexa. Alexa leaned against the wall and, using the gas as cover, began to inch her way past as the Greenshirt began to move forward to find her victim. Fortunately for Alexa, this Terra Nova devotee had not yet mastered all the abilities of the Greenshirt armor, and thus did not search for the heat signature of the crawling opponent. Once Alexa was in the clear she made a dash for it down the hall and up a staircase back into the open.

She quickly looked over towards the vast green expanse that resembled a mini-park and the wreckage of a Thunderbird that had somehow crashed. To her right she found the slumped body of Adrian.
    “Hey!” she exclaimed, kneeling next to him. “You ok??”
    Adrian clutched his side. Alexa brought him to his feet.
    “I’ll be fine… God…” he whispered at the destruction. “We have to get outta here.”
    “If you can find a way, I’ll follow you.” She paused and then said “Who the hell are these people?”
    Her phone then rang, a silly tune incongruous to the mayhem around them. It was Kay.
    “Kay! Where are you?”
    She couldn’t make out her reply. Adrian then saw the large parking lot complex.
    “Let’s get over there. The driveway leads underground, we can hide there until the bombing stops.”
    “Kay, meet me at the parking lot!” Alexa shouted. Together the strangers began to make their way to what hopefully would be sanctuary, like privates fleeing across a 19th century battlefield as artillery exploded around them…

Evening arrived. The aerial bombardment had now ceased, and the campus lay in ruins. The rest of the city was awash with chaos; all college properties had suffered the assault, and left behind much collateral damage. Police, EMTs and even the National Guard now fought to enter the university grounds to find any possible survivors.

Gregory had fought his way to the tall clocktower. There a solitary figure stood on the roof and looked down upon the destruction. The sun and upwardly-dancing cinders illuminated this figure to be an armored swordsman donning a large silver helmet. A black visor hid his face. He looked rather like a knight.

He gripped the hilt of his sheathed sword. At any other time and place, the getup might have been ridiculed. But here, now, there was nothing to laugh at. As Gregory came upon him he could feel his cold stare.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Ikki Gekichi’ from Choujinki Metalder)

“You’re one of them, aren’t you?” His gun was raised. “Show your face!”
    The knight snorted. “So is this a Dinoman? You’ve done well as a one-man army, but defiance of Terra Nova is a wasted effort.”
    “Who ever thought you were such devils?” the student asked, finger on the trigger.
    “You don’t think nature a devil when the weak are weeded out. This is the natural end to the dregs of humanity.”
    Gregory stepped closer. The knight made no defense. “Surrender to me and I shall give you a place with us. I can guess your identity, and you are no fool. Not like Richard Terran.”
    Gregory then recognized the figure and the voice. “You killed Terran!”
    “He sinned against us and was justly punished.”
    “He found out what you are!”
    “He knew all along! Then suddenly he finds the God of the masses and decides we are evil. Don’t follow his example. Join me.”
    “Show your face and put your hands on your head!”
    The knight sighed. “It seems you must learn the hard way.”

He drew his long, thin sword. The edge, cut with lasers, could cut through almost anything. Gregory fired the rifle, but the armor effortlessly deflected the shots.
    “If you want to fight me, be civilized about it. That gun comes with a blade, does it not?”
    Gregory hesitated. His lack of skill with a sword matched his ability with a gun. Nevertheless he moved the rear of the rifle to a vertical position, exposing a sword hilt. He then rotated the rear 180 degrees so that it was now on top. The rifle shaft that had been on top now was below, and a blade appeared in its place. Gregory raised the sword before him, bracing himself.
    “Enguard!”
    Blades clashed. Greg felt the impact through his arms. His opponent shoved his weapon aside and slashed across his chest. Without breaking pace, he came behind Greg as he stumbled away and, before he could counter, stabbed beneath the ribs. Greg nearly fell, but managed to keep his footing. The knight relentlessly attacked; the hero in blue was clearly outmatched. More slashes and stabs he endured, across his arms, his legs, his abdomen. The placoderm armor seemed useless against the sharpened steel. The knight finally knocked Greg’s weapon away, jabbed his sword into his shoulder, and then stepped back, drawing it across the torso after him. Greg felt it cut through to his skin, and he slumped against the wall. The knight grabbed his throat and raised him up. For a moment he pondered finishing him here, but then opted instead to throw him to the ground below.

Greg landed in a heap and lay sprawled on his back. The knight looked down on him, his cape flying with the wind.
    “You still have a chance to join us. Or shall I leave you there like a fish washed up on shore?”
    Greg tried to say something but lacked any breath.
    “So be it. But I shall grant you one wish. You should know the face of your enemy.” He raised his visor to reveal Thomas Creel.
    “CREEL!” Greg found voice again, and raised it high.
    “Nay, not Creel. I am Galton XII of the Greenshirts of Terra Nova. Know it well, for next we meet I shan’t be so merciful.” With that he wrapped his cape around him and disappeared from view.
    “CREEEEELLLL!!” Greg bellowed after him. He brought himself up and fell forward on his knees, clutching his body and smashing a fist to the ground. Creel killed Terran. Creel, Terran’s friend. Such a callous betrayal could not go unanswered. Greg gave one last cry before he collapsed again and blacked out…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

As Terra Nova continues its destruction, Gregory tries to convince the others to take the remaining GenBuckles and form the Dinoman team. Biotherium Triceratops, the monster that killed Terran, is set loose upon them.

Article 3: Paleo Sentai

Greg landed in a heap and lay sprawled on his back. The knight looked down on him, his cape flying with the wind.
    “You still have a chance to join us. Or shall I leave you there like a fish washed up on shore?”
    Greg tried to say something but lacked any breath.
    “So be it. But I shall grant you one wish. You should know the face of your enemy.” He raised his visor to reveal Thomas Creel.
    “CREEL!” Greg found voice again, and raised it high.
    “Nay, not Creel. I am Galton XII of the Greenshirts of Terra Nova. Know it well, for next we meet I shan’t be so merciful.” With that he wrapped his cape around him and disappeared from view.
    “CREEEEELLLL!!” Greg bellowed after him. He brought himself up and fell forward on his knees, clutching his body and smashing a fist to the ground. Creel killed Terran. Creel, Terran’s friend. Such a callous betrayal could not go without justice. Greg gave one last cry before he collapsed again and blacked out…

He came to when he felt someone slap his bare face. Opening his eyes he saw Adrian looming over him, hands on his cheek.
    “You alright?”
    He had removed his helmet while he was out. Gregory painfully brought himself up and propped against his forearm. Alexa, Danny and Kay were nearby gazing on his blue costume.
    “You’re the guy who was fighting those soldiers?” Alexa asked in wonder. Greg squinted and looked around. He gave Kay a nod in greeting. “Kay.”
    “Hey” she whispered. This was quite an awkward reunion. Danny looked between the two for a moment before Greg asked “Did the fighters leave?”
    “Either that or they’re taking a break” said Adrian. “Come on, we’re taking cover in the parking lot.”
    “Parking lot…. Parking lot!” Greg took his helmet and raised himself up. “I…”

A loud noise interrupted him. Debris began falling around the group as the clocktower began to topple to the ground with them under it.
    “RUN!”
    He limped ahead and led them to the safety of the parking lot entrance. The tower smashed to pieces as it collided with the ground.
    “Let’s get underground” said Adrian.
    “No,wait” said Gregory. “This way.”
    Maybe he was still delirious. He should have had more time to think this through. But things were now desperate. He was desperate. He brought them to a freight elevator near the entrance that was across from stacks of sandbags and equipment. Thankfully it was still operational. He took them all inside and pressed the button to descend to one of the basement levels, powering down his suit as he did.
    “Where are we going?” asked Danny.
    “You’ll see”

*Opening Theme plays*

A network of tunnels connected the university’s underground parking lot to the other buildings on campus. Greg took the motley band down a little used one that appeared ancient. He had discovered this through a map Terran had left in his files. A large machine was supposed to be stored in an underground bay at the end of the tunnel. Terran had only added a single note: Base.

They arrived at a heavy hatch door. It took some effort to turn the hatch wheel, long neglected and covered with grime. When he got it open, they stepped inside and were shocked. This was the inside of some kind of airship that was left to rot. A large dirty window indicated they were in the cockpit.
    “Where are we?” asked Alexa.
    “This is one of those construction golems they made a few years back” said Danny. “I studied the schematics in a class once. They were scrapped before anyone ever used them.”
    “Somehow Terran and Creel got one stored underneath the campus” Greg explained. “They were both in Terra Nova before Terran left. Creel has been looking through Terran’s offices for his records on the organization, but I got hold of some.”
    “Wait. Terra Nova did this?” Kay asked in shock. “But how?”
    “They’ve been keeping a lot of secrets from us” said Greg sadly. Kay immediately thought of Jennifer. What had become of her?
    “Was Creel involved with this?” asked Danny.
    “He was. I was fighting him before you found me.”
    “Then why didn’t he destroy this ship or take it for himself?”
    “He probably thought it was in too much disrepair to bother with it.”
    “No kidding” said Adrian, running a hand down a wall. “So what did you bring us here for? Is this a hideout?”
    “Yes and no…”
    “What does that mean?” asked Kay.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Senritsu! Shinigami Gash!! (1)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Greg brought out the box containing the last four GenBuckles. Upon discovering the ship he had moved as much of Terran’s property from the basement lab office as he could without detection. He opened the box and presented the contents to the group.
    “Terran made a set of BioSuits like what I had on. They take DNA from prehistoric animals and create sort of a “second skin” for the wearer, with the animal’s abilities.”
    Danny narrowed his eyes. “You’re not…”
    Greg nodded. “I need you four to join me.”
    The four looked at each other. “You can’t be serious” said Adrian to Greg.
    “Do I look like I’m joking?”
    “You look like you’re insane. You’re lucky you’re even alive after today. All of us are.”
    “I can’t fight Terra Nova alone.”
    “You can’t fight them, period. Try to be a hero again and you won’t live to tell about it.”
    “That’s why I need a whole team. I know this is sudden but… I promised Terran before he died that I would stop these guys - ”
    “Some promise” muttered Adrian.
    “- But I need people with me. If it were up to me I would have gone to my lab friends. They knew Terran, they would at least have some loyalty to him. But you’re all I have now. Please, take these and join me.”
    “How can we go against a whole army?” asked Alexa. “We don’t even know what we’re doing.”
    “I doubt he knows what he’s doing” said Adrian.
    “Do you want all those people to have died for nothing? Now maybe I don’t have the hang of this just yet, but I know we’re the only ones with the means to stop them!”
    “You just admitted it!” exclaimed Adrian. “You’re in way over your head. Just leave this all here and try to get home. Everyone must think we’re dead or missing. Are you gonna tell them you’re off to play hero because some dead guy told you to?”
    “Hey show some respect!”
    “Guys!” yelled Alexa, holding her hands out for the two to stop. “Let’s just cool off here.”
    Adrian scowled. “He’s the one who should cool off. This is just him wanting revenge for Terran. Think about what you’re saying and then be grateful you’re still breathing.”

Greg sighed in exasperation. He hadn’t expected a chorus of volunteers but he had hoped not to argue like this. All of them seemed to share Adrian’s sentiment and looked at him doubtfully.
    “How about we get some rest. In the morning we can maybe find a way out, if they’re no longer attacking by then.”
    No one wanted to argue this. As they began looking through the rest of the ship Greg slumped in a corner and held his head. If he wasn’t dead, he was dead tired. Maybe some sleep could clear all their minds…

*BGM plays*
    (‘Aku No Shin'en’ from Jiku Senshi Spielban)

At the dawn of the 20th century many in the academic and aristocratic circles had developed distaste, even a hatred, for those of lessor status. But among these elites were those who were cleverer; they knew the masses were easily susceptible to a stronger manipulator. And if they could veil their intentions with visions of a brighter future, all the easier to grab power.

So in the early 1900s three scientists, Miles Godfried, Ellen Ogden and Julian Dombrowski, founded the organization Terra Nova. Its stated purpose: to advance science and promote prospective new academic and professional minds. Its true goals, however, were the proliferation of eugenic policy and the accumulation of power over the world through government and academia.

The organization slowly grew and endured over the century. But some members, encouraged by the World Wars and conflicts in the Third World, grew impatient at the pace and wanted to seize control at once. They conceived an alternative strategy, where all academic and scientific institutions around the World would be destroyed, to be replaced with a single center of indoctrination once the world was theirs. It was named Alexandria after the great Egyptian library that was destroyed during the Muslim conquests of North Africa. The plan was rejected and abandoned… until now, when Galton XII, a.k.a. Dr. Thomas Creel, at last set it into motion. On this first day, hundreds of universities had been leveled, with innumerable casualties.

*BGM plays*
    (‘God Neros’ from Choujinki Metalder)

Tonight a great meeting was held at Terra Nova’s secret base in the middle of the ocean. Members from all over the world gathered in a large inner court. Three banners bearing the Armies’ emblems hung from the ceiling. The members divided themselves according to which Army they belonged.

The Greenshirts, the human members who had devoted their lives to Terra Nova, stood under this banner of a raised fist under a ‘Big Brother’ eye. Officers took the names of people the organization held to sainthood. Thomas Creel stood with them; he was the twelfth person to take the name of Francis Galton, the founder of modern eugenics.

The Ecodroids, robots and machines created for use in espionage and combat, stood under this banner of a large gear surrounding the eye. Their cold cruelty could surpass even that of their original human creators.

The Biotheres, monsters created from genetic material of the prehistoric remains recovered from the cryowells, stood under this banner of two DNA double helices crossed over the eye. They were abominations even to some of the Greenshirts. Some were intelligent and many were savage brutes, but all were treated as such.

Finally the meeting started. The giant emblem of Terra Nova, a blue eagle stamped with the ‘Big Brother’ eye and green globe on either wing, the letters T and N drawn over the body, was placed before the Armies.

The attendees began to chant something until the voice of the Fuhrer Nova, the current leader of Terra Nova, came over the loudspeakers. Years ago a prominent member of the organization had been chosen to take the mantle of the three Founders upon their passing. Few if any had ever seen him, as he lived in isolation. Right now he commended his followers for the flawless performance today. As he spoke the eye on the eagle’s wing swept back and forth as though it itself was speaking.
    “Today we have shown the world our invincible might. The destruction of the current academia shall continue, but we have demanded the immediate surrender of all world governments lest we start destroying their cities themselves. Our fellow members are embedded in powerful positions worldwide; they will persuade them that to fight is a lost cause.

Our esteemed Galton XII has executed the traitor Richard Terran. Let his death be a warning to any others of his deluded mind. There is no one who can stand against us. Today is the dawn of a new Earth, a better Earth! Long life, Terra Nova!”

The followers repeated the cheer. Tomorrow the beast would be unleashed again…

Sadly for Greg he didn’t get much sleep. After waking up in the middle of the night (which he could only tell from looking at his watch), he found falling asleep again impossible and instead poured through the ship’s manuals and data files to get it operational. By morning he had managed to get the cockpit controls and engines online, plus a small TV monitor. It came on to a breaking news bulletin. Greg sat stunned: Terra Nova had renewed their assault on the world’s remaining universities. Militaries, police and EMTs were of little avail. As Greg watched the carnage a rage built up inside him.

This could not continue.

Leaving the TV on the young scientist strode to the center chair in the five-man cockpit and revved up the engines. The closest school under attack was a short flight from here. Hopefully he could make it in time… but what about the others? Greg paused a moment before pushing the throttle. They might object to being taken against their will. But then again… maybe they needed to see this.

A long tunnel lay before the ship. Greg slowly guided it down the path, wincing at the occasional jerk and shudder. It slowly picked up speed until the end of the tunnel was in sight. If it were possible Greg would have asked how and why such a tunnel was built without most people’s knowledge. They emerged from the side of a remote hill and ascended into the sky.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Tensai ni fukanou wa nai!’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Now the others began to emerge from wherever they had taken board.
    “What’s going on… are we flying?” asked Alexa.
    “Where are we going?” asked Danny.
    “Look” Greg pointed to the TV. The footage of the worldwide siege played before them. No one protested. All were silent. Greg tried to read their thoughts from their expressions. As they approached the site he presented them the GenBuckles again.
    “I’m going down there. If you want to follow me, take a Buckle and come. If not…”
    He let himself trail off… there was nothing more he could think to say. The ship descended to just above a tall building. Greg strapped his Buckle to his waist and slid the top over, instantly covered in blue, and jumped down.

The four stared at the Buckles. None had a dramatic change of heart. None wanted to go down and fight the hoard. But something in them knew they couldn’t just watch while one stood alone. Danny went first; he took the Prionosuchus set and copied Greg’s motions. A green suit covered him and he went down after Greg.
    Then Alexa went and took the Argentavis set….
    then Kay and the Andrewsarchus set….
    and lastly, Adrian took the Spinosaurus set.

Into the jaws of the monster…

To the rest of the world it was a typical day. People went about with their business in the city. Most were plugged into a plethora of electronic devices; at once connected to the world and unaware of the coming horror.

At the college campus students went about like normal. One girl clutched the shoulder strap of her bag as she hurriedly exited an on-campus store, late for class. Just then a loud roar pierced the air. The girl knocked into someone who was looking up at something above, along with others. She glared at her obtruder, but then followed the gaze of the others to see what had caught everyone’s attention.

Jet fighters resembling giant birds flew over the city. A squadron broke off from the main force and began descending toward the ground. At first some though this was some kind of unannounced stunt show, but the fighters were coming in much too close. Too few realized the truth. The jets fired on the crowd, tearing up the ground and leaving the first wave of death in their wake. The buildings of the campus were next. Soon people were scrambling in all directions looking to escape the bombing.

The nameless fighters did not attack indiscriminately; only the parts of the city where the college properties lay were targeted for destruction. Those that managed to evade the fighters on campus were met by a troop of Mechadrones, silver-grey robotic soldiers that bore a large emblem of a gear with an eye at the center on their bodies.

These proceeded to coldly gun down those attempting to flee. The police on scene could do nothing. No help seemed in sight.

But suddenly a figure in a blue protective suit ran toward the menace, a rifle strapped to his back. Coming behind him were four more, clad respectively in green, white, pink and red. The blue figure drew his rifle and fired on the robots before they could kill another group of people. Some fell down in a shower of sparks, but their companions went on to meet this opponent without care.

The team of five stood now together, baring their path.
    “Who are you?” the lead Mechadrone asked in a monotone voice. The five looked at each other and then slowly declared:
    “Blue Dino”
    “Green Dino”
    “Red Dino”
    “Pink Dino”
    “White Dino”

*Insert Song plays*
    (‘If Looks Could Kill’ by Heart)

Some civilians looked stunned, but the Mechadrones were unimpressed. They scattered the five with their weapons and began to engage them. Despite this newfound power and strength, they found these robots quite hard to handle. Even Adrian and Danny, skilled as they were in martial arts, seemed unsure of how to fight. Greg tried to rally them by example; using his Sniper he clubbed and fired on the machine grunts, switching between Gatling and Shot Modes repeatedly. He used his placoderm armor to block as many bullets as he could.

The others began to discover their own abilities: Adrian was running faster than he intended, as though his feet had their own will, and could throw heavy objects with ease. Danny could slide along a filament of liquid produced by his suit and easily slip from the Mechadrones’ clutches. Kay’s punches and kicks, whenever she could land them, dented or shattered whatever they struck. And Alexa could glide gently to the ground from heights, as well as throw feather-shaped darts.

Even so, the Mechadrones did not let up. Greg managed to take down a good number of them, and got his team together behind a wall.
    “Take out your Snipers and shoot them!”
    None of them had ever used a firearm, and looked at each other with uncertainty.
    “Just do what I do!” Greg fired again in gatling mode. They removed their rifles and followed his lead, until only five grunts remained.
    “Shot Mode!” Greg ordered. They flimsily copied his moves and fired five shots in unison at the robots, destroying them.
    “Is it over?” asked Kay. The streets were strewn with mechanical parts. The aerial assault had ceased too. Had they won?

Not yet, as a large creature now charged toward them out of nowhere. It took Greg a second to recognize it as the monster Creel used to kill Terran. He could now clearly see that it resembled a Triceratops, but had a distinct hominid posture. This was Biotherium Triceratops, one of many lifeforms born from Terra Nova’s science. The creature plowed through the team and doubled back again. The Dinomen jumped it at once and tried to wrestle it into submission, but were thrown aside in all directions. Adrian smashed through the windshield of a car.

Greg crawled to his dropped Sniper and began firing incessantly at the beast. It roared and began toward him again, but Kay came from behind and slammed a fist in the back of its head. While she was thrown down and stomped upon, Alexa and Danny fired their guns as well. Adrian returned with sharp claws extended from his hands and feet, and started to maul it, while evading its blows with his capoeira movements. Eventually the beast began to weaken.
    “Now! Fire again!” Greg yelled. They all fired their guns until it finally fell dead. Greg cautiously approached it to make certain of it, then with a clawed finger sliced off a piece of skin to study later.

The five moved to where they could be free from attention and collapsed in exhaustion. It would be a good while before any of them could stand again. Meanwhile unbeknownst to them, Galton XII watched as the Triceratops’s corpse rapidly decayed. They were so designed as to keep any outsider from studying their bodies.
    “Dinoman…”
    He betrayed no emotion, but silently disappeared…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

Gregory reunites with his friend Bobby Lorenz who has escaped Terra Nova with a large egg, and is pursued by an acquaintance of Adrian’s who now serves the organization; DinoRobo deploys to fight a giant Biotherium when it attacks a city.

Article 4: Touchdown! DinoRobo

“Shot Mode!” Greg ordered. They flimsily copied his moves and fired five shots in unison at the robots, destroying them.
    “Is it over?” asked Kay. The streets were strewn with mechanical parts. a large creature now charged toward them out of nowhere. It took Greg a second to recognize it as the monster Creel used to kill Terran. He could now clearly see that it resembled a Triceratops, but had a distinct hominid posture. This was Biotherium Triceratops, one of many lifeforms born from Terra Nova’s science. The creature plowed through the team and doubled back again. The Dinomen jumped it at once and tried to wrestle it into submission, but were thrown aside in all directions. Adrian smashed through the windshield of a car.

Greg crawled to his dropped Sniper and began firing incessantly at the beast. It roared and began toward him again, but Kay came from behind and slammed a fist in the back of its head. While she was thrown down and stomped upon, Alexa and Danny fired their guns as well. Adrian returned with sharp claws extended from his hands and feet, and started to maul it, while evading its blows with his capoeira movements. Eventually the Biothere began to weaken.
    “Now! Fire again!” Greg yelled. They all fired their guns until it finally fell dead. Greg cautiously approached it to make certain of it, then with a clawed finger sliced off a piece of skin to study later.

The five moved to where they could be free from attention and collapsed in exhaustion. It would be a good while before any of them could stand again. Meanwhile unbeknownst to them, Galton XII watched as the Triceratops’s corpse rapidly decayed. They were so designed as to keep any outsider from studying their bodies.
    “Dinoman…”
    He betrayed no emotion, but silently disappeared…

The team returned to the underground hangar and snuck back onto campus to retrieve whatever belongings of theirs were left. Police, military and rescue workers had piled onto the grounds to find and save whomever was still alive. The dormitory fortunately had not suffered as great damage as the other buildings, with only a few portions of wall been blown away, exposing the inside.

Adrian and Greg got in without detection and recovered their things. Most of Terran’s things he and left to Greg were already packed in the ship, so Greg only took his laptop, fallen to the floor and dust-covered, his clothes and toiletries. Adrian’s stuff had already been packed so he was in and out sooner. When he got back to the ship Danny was waiting for him.
    “Hey”
    “Hmm?”
    “I recognized your capoeira back there…. you’re part of the fight club, aren’t you?”
    Adrian paused. Danny’s moves struck him as familiar too. “Yeah… I’ve seen your Muay Thai before… I think I dueled you just the other night.”
    “You’re right…. You’re the capoeira champion.”
    The two of them stood flabbergasted. Adrian then laughed. “Well, what do you know?” He put his things down in a small chamber and shook hands with Danny. “Who’d have thought we’d meet like this?”
    “Ironic” Danny agreed. He sighed and looked at the bags. A Portuguese language book had slid out of one. “We’re in this for the long haul, aren’t we? Too bad I can’t get my stuff from home.”
    “Your folks might think you’re dead” said Adrian rather bluntly.
    “Probably.” Danny looked directly at his rival. “Are you sure we should be doing this?”
    Adrian snorted. “Are you kidding? I’d be the first one outa here if I wasn’t afraid our fearless leader will do a kamikaze run or something without us around. If he doesn’t know what he’s doing at least he’ll have someone to lean on.”
    Though even as he said that Adrian had a dread feeling he was missing his last chance to come out of this alive…

Alexis went to the café to pack her meager possessions, and Kay went with her. Since all she had with her was her bookbag, Alexis let her take some clothes off the rack and together took some food from the shelves and storage. However she felt bad about leaving the shop like this without a word to the owner, after having been treated so well. What to say, though? Eventually she scribbled a short note thanking her for everything and that she was sorry for leaving but there was something she must do in light of recent events. As a final gesture she left her most recent paycheck plus some extra cash of her own, and with a final forlorn glance, closed and locked the door behind them…

*Opening Theme plays*

*BGM plays*
    (‘Busou Zunogun Volt’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

In a private chamber within Terra Nova’s ocean base, Galton XII replayed footage from the Dinomen’s debut battle. With him were two more Greenshirts, Sanger IV (named after the eugenicist Margaret Sanger) and Davenport V (named after eugenicist Charles Davenport). Neither of them seemed to share Galton’s nonchalant reaction to this unexpected enemy.
    “I don’t understand your calm” said Sanger, revealing her thoughts in a raspy voice. The old woman approached the screen and pointed at a shot of the five together. “In a few minutes these five destroyed a whole force of Mechadrones and killed the Triceratops. You are making a mistake overlooking them.”
    “They are also children being led by a child. We have children led by those stronger and smarter than they. And besides...” He switched to a composite image of universities and academic centers all over the world that had been destroyed. “What is one loss to all these other victories? For all Terran left them, they are outmatched. Even if they do continue to fight, we are more ahead of them than they realize.”
    “Regardless, I hope we’re not going to just ignore them” said Davenport.
    “… No” said Galton with a smile as he switched off the screen. “We’ll show them just how futile resistance is.”

An incoming call suddenly alerted Sanger.
    “What is it?” she asked irritably.
    “Someone has escaped one of our U.S. camps.”
    Galton and Davenport stiffened. Terra Nova had special facilities placed around the globe where various unsavory experiments were conducted far from public eyes and monies.
    “Are you sure it’s someone and not something?”
    “Yes ma’am. One of the student recruits.”
    “Well find and take care of him!” she snapped. She gave a curt nod to Galton and left with Davenport. Galton looked at and admired Davenport’s choice of design for his costume: the words of Charles Davenport’s Eugenics Creed was wrapped around his body in small lettering, a statement of Davenport V’s and Terra Nova’s ideals.

"I believe in striving to raise the human race to the highest plane of social organization, of cooperative work and of effective endeavor."
    "I believe that I am the trustee of the germ plasm that I carry and that I betray the trust if I so act as to jeopardize it or limit offspring."
    "I believe that the joined pair should seek to have four to six children in order that our carefully selected germ plasm shall be reproduced in adequate degree and that this preferred stock shall not be swamped by that less carefully selected."
    "I believe in such a selection of immigrants as shall not tend to adulterate our germ plasm with socially unfit traits."
    "I believe in repressing my instincts when to follow them would injure the next generation."

The jet golem, which Greg had discovered was christened DinoJet, took off from the underground hangar for the last time and disappeared from view within the clouds on autopilot. Greg called his new teammates together for a meeting. For a moment he felt like he was back doing lab presentations with his old labmates and Terran. God knew what had become of them now.
    “So here’s the deal” he began. He made an effort not to sound too formal or commanding, as he much doubted they would appreciate that. “Playing catch-up with the enemy isn’t gonna work. We need to find their headquarters and chop off the head there.”
    “A good idea” said Adrian. “But do you know where that is?”
    “Ah” said the scientist ruefully. “That’s the rub. I’m still looking through Terran’s files and come up naught. He might have deleted it lest Creel found them.”
    Adrian sighed. “He didn’t leave you with much, did he? We barely won that last fight, but now what? They’ve attacked the whole world and got them to surrender. It’s all over the news.
    “And those suits are a bit hard to handle” added Kay. “It’s like they move on their own.”

“I have an idea for the actual combat” said Greg. “Now Adrian and Danny know martial arts. I know how to shoot guns and rifles. We can train each other. Plus according the BioSuit stats, the more you train your body to its specific abilities, the better able you are to use them.”
    “So in other words” said Alexa “To glide better I have to practice flying?”
    “Well something like that. Maybe leaping or swinging over things. Adrian would have to sprint, Kay would do… kickboxing, and so on.”
    “I’ve never done kickboxing” said Kay. “Or anything like that.”
    “Like I said, we can train each other. There’s a space on this ship that could do for a gym.”
    “A very crude gym” said Adrian.
    “This will be a very crude lifestyle” said Danny. “We’re gonna have to keep buying or stealing food and clothes. How do we pull that off?”
    “First let’s decide how to handle Nova” said Greg. “We need an attack plan.”

The group was silent for a while, trying to come up on the spot for any kind of idea. Suddenly a light went off on a console.
    “What’s that?” asked Kay.
    “I set that up to alert on any Nova presence” said Greg. “It keys on the signatures of the buckles the Greenshirts use to suit up, they’re like the GenBuckles but without the DNA.”
    A camera image showed a lone figure speeding down a dirt path on a bike while clutching something. Three black armored vans bearing the Terra Nova emblem were in close pursuit. The figure looked to have the Greenshirt emblem on his arm.
    “Looks like one of their own” said Adrian. “We should just watch.”
    “No” said Greg. “If they’re after him it’s for a reason. We should find out what.”
    “How do we get down then? Did Terran leave some wheels for you too?”

Greg smiled. He led them to a lower level of the ship and opened the door to a garage-like area. A motorcycle and an open roof jeep sat ready for them. A heavy silver-white cannon, Cosmic Vanisher, was mounted on top of the jeep. On their sides were painted on the names ‘Raptor’ and ‘Moschops’. Adrian whistled and immediately took Raptor for himself. Aside from the unique panel it almost felt like his old bike.

Greg punched in a code on the wall. As DinoJet descended toward the site the bay door began to open. The girls got into Moschops and Danny waved Greg toward the driver’s seat. Greg’s smile then changed into an uncomfortable expression.
    “What’s wrong?”
    “Eh… why don’t you drive? I’ll man the cannon.”
    Adrian and Danny looked at him oddly but didn’t protest. They attached their GenBuckles, gained the belt and sash, and summoned their suits. Once low enough, the door opened completely and the two vehicles were thrown out with a rough landing. With Raptor leading, the Dinomen raced to the rescue…

The escapee sprinted through a dry, desert-expanse sparsely dotted with small vegetation. The black vans fired mounted cannons after him which splattered dust and nearly deafened him. One blast threw him forward and he rolled on the ground. A large egg was clutched tightly to his chest. He looked it over to see if it was damaged and then to the vans. Taking out a handgun he shot the windows to little avail. There was nowhere to run.

*Dinoman Theme plays*
    (‘Bakusou Digital Exhaust’ from Denji Sentai Megaranger)

Just then a motorcycle and jeep, driven by a team clad in multicolored suits, came charging in from his left to intercept the caravan. Red Dino shot a small mounted gun on the front of Raptor and swerved just before he crashed head-on into one van.
    “I’ll lead them off! You stay with that guy!” he called to his teammates. Greg looked at the young man and was startled.
    “Bobby?”
    His old friend Bobby Lorenz looked back at him, of course not recognizing Greg in his blue costume. The vans divided into two groups, one after Adrian and the other on Moschops. Greg hastily fired one shot from the Cosmic Vanisher and then dragged Kay to take his place.
    “Man the cannon, I’m guard him!”
    “Wha… How do I shoot?!” she called after him as he leapt off and took Bobby to safety. Danny was now veering left and right against the enemy. She cursed under her breath and awkwardly began swinging the mounted Vanisher to and fro. As the firefight went on, Alexa leapt onto the roof of one van and grappled with a Greenshirt than tried to shoot from there, and threw her feather darts at others that emerged.

Adrian meanwhile led his vans on a wild circular chase until he reunited with Moschops. Seeing one van coming his way, he timed a turn exactly when the van behind him fired. The oncoming van came into the projectile’s path and exploded in a ball of fire. Adrian then drew his C-14 Sniper rifle and picked off the Greenshirts that came out to attack. Danny and the girls came to join him. One Greenshirt though stood behind Adrian, gun raised, waiting to fire. Then suddenly he threw it down and tackled him. Adrian threw him off and reflexively began his capoeira style as they fought without weapons. The Greenshirt broke away and laughed.
    “Somehow I knew it was you, Adrian. No one rides a bike and fights like you.”
    He removed his helmet. Adrian stared in surprise. “Trevor?”
    Trevor Hoge, an old classmate of his from his undergrad chemistry courses. He had gone off to join a Terra Nova work-study program and Adrian soon lost touch with him.
    “Fancy meeting you like this after so long.”
    “What are you doing mixed up in all this?”
    “I could ask you the same thing. But I’ll tell you; I’m a commander within the Greenshirts taking care of a fugitive.”
    “Fugitive?” Kay chimed in. “He looks like one of you.”
    “He’s a traitor to Terra Nova and will be eliminated before he can reveal any of our secrets… like to you.”
    Danny raised his gun. “I’d like to see you try.”
    Trevor snorted. Like Gregory he was well trained in firearms usage and could tell these four were amateurs. He then took out and threw a grenade.

“Look out!” yelled Alexa. They all dodged the explosion. Danny raced to the back of Moschops, rotated the Vanisher Trevor’s way, and blew him away with one blast. Trevor collapsed in a heap and the team sped off to retrieve Greg and Bobby.
    “Thanks” said Bobby as they escaped. “But who are you all?”
    “We’re the Dinomen” said Alexa. “And the blue guy is you could say our leader.”
    “Does the blue guy have a name?”
    Greg removed his helmet and grinned. Bobby sat stunned, and then chuckled.
    “Son of a gun… Babyface Greg.”
    Kay stifled a giggle. The two friends exchanged a tight handclasp.

Trevor pulled himself up and watched them go. He then contacted his superiors with the news.”
    “Keep after them. We’ll soon send a bigger surprise.”

Bobby Lorenz did not fulfill one’s expectation for a scientist. He would often ride in out of nowhere on a long skateboard that was constantly with him, even in the lab. His pale face gave the impression of a goth though he never dressed the style. A large tattoo of some obscure symbol covered his left bicep. He never said what it was; some thought it was gang-related, which he neither confirmed nor denied. But he had such a solo personality that Greg doubted that true. Bobby was loud and irreverent, openly mocking just about anyone and anything, even the faces and issues in his field of study. Were it anyone else Greg might have avoided him, but he possessed a charm and candor that just made him likeable. They had spent many a time together in and out of class, and when Bobby left to work a Terra Nova internship for a semester, Greg had missed him dearly.

“So what’s with the ‘Babyface’?” Kay asked when they were back onboard the DinoJet. Greg looked away embarrassed while Adrian seemed amused.
    “Come on, look at the kid” said Bobby after gulping down some bottled water. “Bright-eyed, round smooth face and all. You’d think he was still on breast milk.”
    Now Alexa and Danny had to choke back laughter. Greg cleared his throat.
    “I guess I’ll take you up on that goatee.”
    “It’ll work wonders for you.”
    “Ok” said Adrian. “So let’s get to it. What did you do to have Terra Nova on your tail?”
    “Exactly that. I did something.” Bobby now turned serious. “A lot of the lower-tier guys have no idea what’s happened. They’ve been away from any media save what Nova wants them to see.”
    “You mean they don’t know every college has been destroyed?” asked Greg in shock.
    “Not that Nova was behind it, if at all.”
    “How long have you been with them?” asked Kay.
    “Since the semester started. I actually didn’t want to go. Greg here can tell you I never worshipped that blue bird like everyone else.” He gulped down more water and went on. “But I went anyway. Good for your career if nothing else. But I don’t think I was very popular there from the start.”
    “I can imagine they wouldn’t care for your… style” said Greg. “So when did you find out the truth?”
    “Are you kidding? I knew what these guys were from the beginning. Lots of people did, but no one in the mainstream took them seriously. I was sent to a compound somewhere north of here where people were working on the Respawn Project.”
    “Respawn?” asked Alexa.
    “It’s an attempt to clone prehistoric life from recovered genetic material” said Danny before Greg could explain. Bobby nodded.
    “They’re creating monsters. I mean it, like stuff from movies. Biotheres, “life beasts”, they’re called. From what I saw, they’re implanting animal, plant, or whatever nuclei into human eggs like those cross-species hybrids people were making a while back. Only Nova is letting them develop fully and then raising them in the compounds.”
    “Is that possible?” asked Greg. It shouldn’t be. “They can’t be viable.”
    Bobby shrugged. “Don’t ask me how. All I know is they exist. They train them like wild dogs. If any of them escape, someone is sent to kill it before it’s discovered. Trevor is one of those guys.”
    “Imagine that” said Adrian. “I doubted he ever shot a BB gun, much less a rifle like his.”

“So how did you get all this?” Bobby asked Greg. Greg explained what had happened to Terran. Bobby had liked Terran almost as much as Greg, showed no surprise or grief, but simply nodded. “I figured that would happen. I saw him once in the compound and he looked like he hated the place.”
    “Well at least we know something more about them” said Greg, trying to stay hopeful. “If there was another Buckle, I’d give it to you.”
    Bobby laughed. “Come on, you know I’m no team player. Besides I have my own ideas on how to stop Nova.”
    “Care to enlighten us?” asked Danny.
    “Don’t rush me. First I want to show you this egg.” He pointed to the large egg he had brought with him. “I nabbed this before I escaped. I’m not sure what will come out, but you might learn something from it.”
    “Provided it doesn’t kill us” said Alexa. “Nova must want it back.”
    “Definitely.”

Sensors then picked up something unusual. “Must be your friends again” said Adrian as he strode over to look. He then blanched. “God…”
    “What is it?” The others came to see. A gigantic dinosaur-like monster was stomping through the wilderness. An oval head attached to an immense python-esque neck lead a muscular, lumbering body.
    “Is that… a dinosaur?” asked Kay.
    “Some bastardized version of one” said Bobby. “A Mamenchisaurus I’m betting from the neck.”
    “It’s a giant. How do we fight that? And it’s heading toward that town in the distance” observed Danny.
    “Say, this is one of those construction golems, right?” asked Bobby. “Do you know how to get the robot mode?”
    “You want to use the robot to fight that? It’s not made for that.”
    “It’s not made for a superhero HQ either. Fly down lower and begin the undocking and transforming procedures.”
    “Hold that thought” said Adrian. “Those fighters are back!”
    A squadron of the blue jets were coming their way. Others were heading toward the town and parachuting troops to the ground.
    “Split up” commanded Greg. “Adrian, Danny, Lex, you get downside. Kay and I will pilot the robot.”
    “Hey don’t leave me out” said Bobby. “You’re gonna need some extra hands.”
    “Fine. Pull up a chair. The rest of you, go!”

*Insert Song plays*

“Yes sir” Adrian mumbled with a hint of doubt. They transformed into red, green and white suits and raced to the town in Raptor and Moschops. Blue and Pink, along with Bobby, began the aerial duel.
    “Almost like old times” Greg quipped to Kay, who only nodded unsurely.

On the ground people were fleeing from a horde of reptilian grunts. The three Dinomen got in-between them and the civilians as best they could and sent shots their way. They dismounted to get a better look.

These were Reptoids, the grunt force of the Biotheres created from the DNA of Odontochelys, a primitive Triassic turtle that possessed the ventral plastron of modern turtles but not the dorsal carapace. The blue eagle of Terra Nova was stamped onto their fronts while the double helix logo of the Biotheres was tattooed on their backs. Like the Biotherium Triceratops, there seemed something human-like beneath the savage exterior.
    “Let’s go” said Adrian. Three against many fought in the streets. Meanwhile Biotherium Mamenchisaurus continued on its wanton way. DinoJet was busy with the Thunderbirds to give it much attention.
    “They’re trying to distract us” Greg noted.
    “No kidding” said Bobby. He scanned the console for any kind of explosives. “Here we go!”
    He maneuvered DinoJet above the beast and emptied a payload of explosives that would have been used to detonate obstacles in construction. It spat out a hideous cry and faltered. The Thunderbirds were quickly shot down so they could return to their target.
    “How do we get the robot?” asked Kay, firing missiles and lasers while flying in front of the creature.
    “Hold on” muttered Greg as he searched through Terran’s files that he had plugged into the main console. Finally he found it just as DinoJet barely avoided a great swipe of a clawed hand, and gave Kay and Bobby the instructions. They left the top cockpit and rushed into a lower level one.
    “Touchdown” He paused and then added. “DinoRobo!”

*DinoRobo Theme plays*
    (‘Chou Wakusei Sento Bokan Daileon’ Instrumental from Kyoju Tokusou Juspion)

DinoJet ascended and divided into a top “living quarters” half and a bottom “robot” half. The latter, box-shaped and adorned with artillery, descended back down. The front and back halves separated while still connected by two columns (the thighs) and rotated in opposite directions to each other in a 360o fashion. Arms and feet folded out. As the robot assumed a vertical position a head emerged from the front. Three ridges resembling flattened horns decorated the face. The giant machine, DinoRobo, walked out and stood before its opponent.

Their three teammates on the ground stopped to witness the sight.
    “Wow” Alexa whispered. The Reptoids seemed indifferent. But they were stopped from rampaging further by Trevor Hoge who rode up to them on a motorcycle.
    “You know it’s almost hard to believe this is real” he remarked.
    “If you leave we can end this now” said Adrian. Trevor laughed.
    “Really, Adrian? You’re not one to let go. You’ll keep on hammering until the other guy gives up and cowers at your feet. You never knew when to quit.”
    “I know how to survive. Doesn’t mean I’ve never walked away.”
    “Ah, so you’ve changed since I was gone. How good are you in a death match?”
    “… Let’s find out.”
    Trevor sent the Reptoids after Danny and Alexa, then fired his gun at Adrian. Adrian used his speed to evade the bullets and went to fight his “friend” hand-to-hand.

DinoRobo wrestled with the mighty reptile above the town. The serpentine neck wrapped around it and managed to bring it down. In response the robot fired cannons on its arms at the neck and belly. As they fought the Biotherium’s feet and tail knocked away and crushed streets, vehicles and buildings.
    “Keep away from the neck!” ordered Bobby as they were knocked backward by a swing of the immense organ. DinoRobo rose skyward and fired all its cannons. Eventually the monster seemed to weaken. It kicked the head as it landed, then caught it again and dragged the monster forward onto its front, bashing the head with a fist. More Thunderbirds arrived as reinforcement and drove the opponents apart. DinoRobo shot them down and continued shooting the monster.
    “Finish it off now!” yelled Bobby.
    “Right” said Greg. He punched in a command. “Meteor Siege!”
    No time to wonder at the sudden title. All the cannons along DinoRobo’s body charged up to maximum power and unleashed a final barrage. Mamenchisaurus shrieked one last time and fell vanquished to the ground. The robot lifted the immense corpse as it already began to disintegrate and left it outside of town away from humans.

Adrian’s duel alternated between weaponless and fully armed. He and Trevor went back-and-forth between gunplay and close-quarter combat. Trevor was surprisingly adept; perhaps Terra Nova had trained him. But Adrian was more versed and more keen. He awkwardly switched his C-14 Sniper to Blade Mode and caught Trevor on the side of it as he attacked. He then slid the pump forward and back so the weapons charged up and finished it a slashing move across the abdomen. Trevor stumbled and fell. Adrian turned to look at him.
    “Not bad. But not enough…”

*BGM plays*
    (‘Zettaizetsumei’ from Choujinki Metalder)

He rose and fell on one knee. Besides his wound, something was wrong. He removed his helmet and felt his face. It was sweaty and pale. This was not unusual but now it was more intense. Convulsions came over him. Adrian knelt beside him and looked into his eyes.
    “Trevor??”
    But Trevor no longer seemed to comprehend anything. The convulsions gradually ceased until his body was still. The eyes rolled and closed. A strange white foam slowly trickled from his mouth. The blue buckle on his belt clattered on the ground.

Adrian jumped back. Trevor’s face now looked waxy like a melted candle. What was going on? Danny and Alexa, having defeated the Reptoids, came to his side.
    “What did you do?” asked Danny.
    Adrian shook his head, his brow furrowed in thought. They turned back to the victorious DinoRobo standing tall over the rescued town against a setting sun…

*BGM plays*
    (‘Senritsu! Shinigami Gash!! (2)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Despite Greg’s protests Bobby would not stay with them. The team came out with him, now riding Trevor’s discarded bike, to a road leading to a highway.
    “Where will you go now?” asked Alexa.
    “Not sure yet” Bobby shrugged. “But Nova hasn’t heard the last from me, I’ll tell you that. We’ll run into each other again soon enough.”
    “You sure about that?” asked Danny.
    “No. But what else will keep me going?” he winked at Greg, who gave him a last handshake.
    “Take care of these guys” he said.
    “Take care of yourself.”
    “I always do.”

They watched him ride off until he disappeared. Terran was gone, but they had at least one ally…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

When the team captures some Greenshirt grunts that are former schoolmates, Greg and Adrian clash over how to deal with them; Danny designs weapons for DinoRobo after Biotherium Prototaxites begins exterminating city populations; Greg reveals a secret he has kept hidden for years.

Default The robot pictures are not mine, but taken from Internet searches.

Article 5: Dream & Truth

DinoRobo wrestled with the mighty reptile above the town.
    “Keep away from the neck!” ordered Bobby as they were knocked backward by a swing of the immense organ. DinoRobo rose skyward and fired all its cannons. Eventually the monster seemed to weaken. It kicked the head as it landed, then caught it again and dragged the monster forward onto its front, bashing the head with a fist. More Thunderbirds arrived as reinforcement and drove the opponents apart. DinoRobo shot them down and continued shooting the monster.
    “Finish it off now!” yelled Bobby.
    “Right” said Greg. He punched in a command. “Meteor Siege!”
    No time to wonder at the sudden title. All the cannons along DinoRobo’s body charged up to maximum power and unleashed a final barrage. Mamenchisaurus shrieked one last time and fell vanquished to the ground. The robot lifted the immense corpse as it already began to disintegrate and left it outside of town away from humans…

Trevor rose and fell on one knee. Besides his wound, something was wrong. He removed his helmet and felt his face. It was sweaty and pale. This was not unusual but now it was more intense. Convulsions came over him. Adrian knelt beside him and looked into his eyes.
    “Trevor??”
    But Trevor no longer seemed to comprehend anything. The convulsions gradually ceased until his body was still. The eyes rolled and closed. A strange white foam slowly trickled from his mouth. The blue buckle on his belt clattered on the ground.

Adrian jumped back. Trevor’s face now looked waxy like a melted candle. What was going on? Danny and Alexa, having defeated the Reptoids, came to his side.
    “What did you do?” asked Danny.
    Adrian shook his head, his brow furrowed in thought. They turned back to the victorious DinoRobo standing tall over the rescued town against a setting sun…

Kay knocked against the ajar door of Danny’s cramped room.
    “Hi… are you busy?”
    “Not much to be busy with…”
    Kay came in and gave him a pile of clothes taken from Alexa’s shop. “We got some clothes for everyone before we left. Maybe some of these can fit you.”
    “Thanks” Danny sorted through the clothes on a thin metal cot that folded down from the wall. Kay looked at him and around the barely adequate quarters.
    “It’s too bad” said Danny. “I’d rather get some stuff from home.”
    “I’d rather go home and stay there” said Kay.
    “In that case, we could either jump overboard or declare mutiny.”
    Kay chuckled, though Danny seemed grim. He occasionally swept an eye over the girl while her gaze was elsewhere.
    “How do you know Greg?” he suddenly asked.
    Kay was surprised at the question. She rubbed herself a bit uncomfortably. “Oh… we met when I was a freshman… about three years ago.”
    “You weren’t ever - ”
    “No!” She answered quickly. “No, we were just friends.”
    “Were?”
    “It’s a long story.”
    “We have the time” Danny sat on the cot.
    “Why are you so interested?” Kay asked with a raised eyebrow and nervous giggle.
    Danny shrugged. “I’d just like to know who I’m working with.”
    “Is that all?” Kay looked at Danny. It was a teasing question and she regretted asking it so suddenly. Danny frowned and turned away, a bit embarrassed at what she was thinking. “Sorry” Kay blurted. “I didn’t mean that”
    “Forget it” Danny pasted on a smile. It was just as well, he thought. This wasn’t a very appropriate place for such endeavors.

Kay backed out into the hallway. “Well… good night.”
    “Good night.”
    She jerked her head away to hide her pink-hued cheeks and disappeared…

*Opening Theme plays*

While the three Armies of Terra Nova marched behind the blue eagle, they resented each other. Man, machine and beast all considered themselves superior to the other. With such seething tensions, fights among the members were common.

Such a fight had broken out today on the island base; an Ecodroid named Brawler against a Biotherium Hynerpeton. Others egged the two on. Two veteran Greenshirts looked on in the back and seemed to chuckle darkly at the whole thing. Some of them secretly endorsed the infighting between the Armies, especially the Biotheres and Ecodroids, so as to keep them from ever possibly uniting in revolt against the humans, their original creators.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Chousen’ from Choujinki Metalder)

Several shots from an arm cannon broke up the fight. The leader of the Ecodroids, Monger, menacingly parted the small mob.

His second-in-command, a rifle-toting assassin named Revenger followed behind him.

The Biotheres’ leader, Edom, came hurriedly as well. He was an aged red-skinned scaly creature that looked like a human born with an exotic deformity. A black cloak was his one piece of clothing, a contrast to most of his naked brethren.
    “What are you doing?! Yes, you!” He grabbed the amphibian beast and shook him. “Attacking my robots, are you? Stupid animal!”
    He threw him away at Edom. “Your monsters cannot kill five people so they go after my champion.”
    Edom snorted. “You expect me to believe Brawler did not provoke him?” He went forward to confront Monger but Revenger quickly aimed his gun square at his chest. Edom jumped back and scowled. Monger gently lowered it.

“Don’t waste your bullets on an old man. Or what pretends to be man.”
    “Every time we fight each other the humans laugh at us. Is that alright with you, Monger? Do you like being mocked?”
    Monger snarled. “If you had any pride you would not cower what the humans thought of you. Now tell your mongrels to go do their job.”
    “One has already been sent. Send one of yours to face these Dinomen if you think you can do better.”
    “Soon.” Monger looked around at his Ecodroids. Brawler looked anxious to have a go at Edom.
    “Find some others to spar with. These things are beneath you” he ordered the punching machine and bade the others to leave, departing himself with Revenger. Edom turned back to his Biotheres, few of whom seemed fully comprehending.

Edom sighed. He was the oldest of Terra Nova’s bio-engineered creations, given life to by Gottfried himself. For Edom he was a god, and thus he revered the humans of his station and would carry out whatever command given like a loyal devotee. Throughout his life he tried to educate his kin, who were treated as little more than savage beasts to be feared, but with only moderate success. In contrast, Monger had been betrayed by his creator and, in response, built Revenger to find and kill him. In the years since Monger and continually redesigned himself and built up the Ecodroid army, all the while continuing to be a part of Terra Nova. Perhaps bidding his time… or perhaps secretly out of fear after all…

*Dinoman Theme plays*
    (‘Bakusou Digital Exhaust’ from Denji Sentai Megaranger)

DinoJet flew toward a large metropolis in response to reports of an attack. From overhead they saw a large phallic-shaped fungus rooted to the ground surrounded by a yellow mist.
    “What is that?” asked Alexa. Greg happened to have a book on prehistoric life with him and rapidly flipped to the page of what he thought it was.
    “Prototaxites, a Devonian-era fungus the size of a tree. Or taller in this case. It must be another of those giant monster things.”
    “I’d like to know how they make those” said Adrian.
    “Let’s cut this thing down first” said Greg.

They suited up and undocked the robot section from the top half. DinoRobo landed in front of the monster and stated to look for an opening.
    “Look!” gasped Kay, pointing down. “That mist is doing something to the people.”
    Sure enough, people who contacted the mist fell lifeless to the ground.
    “It’s poison spores!” exclaimed Danny after analyzing the substance. Greg looked down in disgust. Was there no end to Terra Nova’s sadism? He thrust the giant robot forward. Biotherium Prototaxites responded with a fresh spore shower. Yellow dust coated the body and began to burn through the metal.
    “What are you doing?!” Adrian yelled at Greg. “Fall back, we can’t go head on!”
    Greg ignored him and tried to press forward again to reach the fungus. More spores covered them. Warning alarms went off. Steam and sparks emitted from the mecha.
    “Shoot it!” Greg ordered. Danny seemed hesitant, as though afraid that might make things worse. Greg did it himself and launcher a set of missiles. Sure enough, the spores were ignited by the heat and the fungus was little fazed by the impact. More spores were released in a fiery cloud. The city was a yellow-tinged inferno. More and more people succumbed to the poison. Those still healthy enough scrambled to get medical attention to others.

“Do what he said!” Alexa barked to Greg, referring to Adrian. “Fall back!”
    DinoRobo retreated a safe distance away. The team examined the damage report on the monitor.
    “Nearly melted” said Danny. “We need a way to get closer.”
    “Hey, look!” Adrian pointed to the ground, where a group of Terra Nova vans with Greenshirt grunts were fleeing the scene. “They must have set the thing up.”
    “After them!” said Greg.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Hissatsu! Bimotion Buster’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Raptor and Moschops exited DinoRobo and raced to catch up. Again avoiding the driver’s seat, Greg manned the Cosmic Vanisher and swiveled it around to fire in front of the vans. They ground to a halt, and Adrian tackled one as they began to resist. All five easily took down the group, disarmed and brought them together in a heap. Greg took one by the head and tore off the helmet. What he found made him jump.
    “Britney?!”
    Britney Palmer, a classmate of his whom, while more or less a nice girl, he remembered always talked in a show-off manner, so people would be awed at her smarts. More helmets were removed and more familiar faces revealed: Reju, a biomedical major; Ivana, a chemical engineer Adrian had acquainted; even a young physics lab teacher named Victor that both Greg and Danny knew. The captives looked at each other and then their former schoolmates. Adrian pointed his Sniper at their heads.
    “You’re coming with us.”

While DinoJet slowly repaired itself the band of heroes tried to question their captives. Their success was minimal; none of them, unsurprisingly, were versed in interrogation procedure, and with these people being known to them, it made matters even harder. Alexa couldn’t believe how they could so casually discuss the goals of Terra Nova like it were some academic seminar. Were they that brainwashed or completely lacking in morals? Greg too was frustrated. Who or what could have twisted their minds so? Only Adrian and Danny seemed unmoved by the display. Finally the team locked them inside a cramped quarter.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Seishum Orbufror (2)’ from Denji Sentai Megaranger)

“That went well” Danny sarcastically muttered. They had gotten little information from them about Nova beyond the location of an open-pit iridium mine.
    “What do we do with them?” asked Kay, looking back toward the room. Was Jennifer the same as them, she wondered to herself.
    Adrian had closed his eyes and stood silent for a moment. Then he uttered “Shoot them.”
    The others stood shocked, Greg most of all. “What? Are you crazy?”
    “They wouldn’t hesitate if our places were reversed. We should kill them before anything happens.”
    “So you want us to be like them? That kind of defeats the point of what we’re doing.”
    Adrian sighed. “You mean what you’re doing. You want to be the hero and save everyone. This is a war. You’ve gotten all of us into it, and now you have to win. And that means outfighting your enemy.”
    “These are our friends!”
    “Friends? You still want to call them that after all this? Hell, are you even surprised at them? I saw through these types long ago. They’re not ‘misguided’. They’re soulless monsters. If you still can’t figure that out you’re even more idiotic than I thought.”
    “Say that again!”

Greg grabbed Adrian by the lapel but the others dragged them apart. Adrian shook his head.
    “God, you are a joke. You tell us to join you but you can’t go the distance. ‘Babyface’ describes you perfectly.”
    “Then you do it” said Greg.
    They all looked at him. “I saw you kill Trevor” Greg continued. “It doesn’t seem to faze you.”
    Danny and Alexa looked uncomfortable. Kay waited for Adrian to react. But instead he responded coolly.
    “You were ready to kill Creel, weren’t you?”
    Greg paused. “I wouldn’t have - ”
    “Oh really? He killed Terran. And these guys will kill a lot more, or allow others to! You want to just let them go so that’ll happen?”
    “I….” Greg looked away. Painful memories he had locked away came flooding into his head. “I… we… should be careful with people’s lives.”
    Adrian was silent. In truth he seemed as conflicted as Greg despite his words. He walked away without a response. Danny and the girls parted as well, leaving Greg standing alone…

Later Danny sat in the cockpit trying to understand DinoJet’s systems while monitoring its repairs. Ironically when he studied the schematics once before in a class he found it dull, but now in the midst of a crisis he was readily absorbing the material. Alexa came upon him as he worked.
    “Want to give a hand?” he asked without turning. She took a heavy manual and began leafing through the pages.
    “How do you comprehend all this?”
    “I don’t. I studied this once in a class but it didn’t click.”
    “But now you’re so interested?”
    Danny shrugged. Alexia watched a monitor detailing the repair status.
    “There must be a way to avoid those spores.”
    “I’ve been thinking about that. Any ideas?”
    “Well…”

She recalled the corrosion the spores caused. “We could put shielding or something protective over the robot. Like an anti-rust spray.”
    “But where would we get that, and how to put it on?” Danny mused further. “It needs weapons, like a giant blade, so we could cut that thing down instead of shooting it.”
    “You’d have to make it from something durable.”
    “Of course… wait” Danny paused. “Didn’t those guys say there was an iridium mine near here? Iridium is highly resistant. We could make something out of that.”
    “But how?”
    Danny took the manual and flipped to a page he had passed before. The machine was conveniently equipped with a giant laser cutter for certain projects.
    “We can use the laser! All that’s needed is to program the design we want.”
    “Let’s go then” Alexa took the controls and began flying toward the mine.
    “Shouldn’t we tell the others?”
    “Let them cool off a bit more” she looked directly at him. “You’re pretty smart, you know that?”
    Danny smiled cynically. “Tell that to my GPA.”
    “That doesn’t mean anything. I’ve known plenty of people with high grades who couldn’t even run that store.”
    “Mmm” Danny looked out the window. Or warped enough to join such a group as Terra Nova.

Once over the mine, they set to work. The laser cut and fused larges pieces of iridium and other elements mixed in to create a large sword and shield.

Greg had retreated to a tiny, barely adequate lab. Terran must have converted the room into one has some kind of safehouse to work from. Now his student was mixing ingredients together to make caulking bullets to use against the Prototaxites. Kay suddenly knocked and stepped in.
    “Hey”
    “Kay” Greg happily invited her in, and then noted her concerned look. “You alright?”
    “I was going to ask you that”
    He turned bitter again at the thought of Adrian and continued his work. “What is that guy thinking? Kill every Nova member we meet no matter what? Don’t even try getting through to them? These are people we know.” He sighed. “Does he believe it’s that easy to take a life?”
    “I don’t think he’s happy about it.”
    “He doesn’t seem very bothered about Trevor.”
    “Are you sure?”
    Greg shook his head. “I don’t know…”

He pushed away from the bench and held his head in his hand. Kay examined his work.
    “What are these?”
    “Caulking bullets. I’m thinking we could try covering the fungus so it can’t release its spores.”
    “That will take a lot of bullets. You can’t make that many.”
    “Then I can at least go with what I have.”
    Kay took a seat beside him. “Why do you always do this, Greg?”
    “Do what?’
    “You keep going so far for other people… even if you can’t actually do anything. It’s like… you’re proving something.”
    “That’s how we met, remember?”

It was true; Kay thought back on that day three years ago when she was a freshman. The newest students had been invited to a large party partially sponsored by one of the fraternities on campus. During the night some of those guys, perhaps intoxicated, began pursuing the new girls. Kay was caught and being dragged to a room where God knows what would have happened when Greg, then himself an undergrad, came out of nowhere and saved her. A fight almost broke out, but they had managed to escape together.

For the next few months Kay joined Greg’s circle of friends, but eventually she began feeling out of place. They were all people of science, while she was a business major. Besides that though she felt they were too brilliant for her, better company for her sister than her. And for all of Greg’s kindness some of the others did not seem of like temperament. In the end she stopped associating with them all together. Kay never put it in words before, but… she thought she had been taken in merely out of pity.

Greg was now talking again. “If I can save someone, I will do it. No matter who it is.”
    “Why?”
    “I have to.”

Greg’s thoughts turned to his own past. A crashed car on fire on an empty Midwestern highway, with him speeding away... He shook his head and kept making his bullets, then started loading them into his C-14 Sniper.
    “You should tell Adrian how you feel” said Kay.
    Greg walked out with the gun…

With the sword and shield completed, DinoJet flew back to the city for the second round.
    “What’s going on?” Greg asked as he and Kay came upon Danny and Alexa. “What did you do?”
    “We made some new weapons for the robot” said Alexa, showing them the computer model.
    “Nice job. I’ve done some fiddling of my own.”

*Blue Dino’s Theme plays*
    (‘Hero’ by Skillet)

Greg set down his Sniper and retrieved it once he donned his BioSuit. “Lex, I need your wings.”
    “Excuse me?”
    “I want to fly over the fungus and shoot these caulking bullets I made. Then the spores released can be minimized.”
    “I can’t carry you that high!”
    “You don’t need to. Just enough to get me close.”
    Alexa remained unconvinced, but decided to go along. Adrian came back as they were leaving.
    “What’s going on?”
    “Just watch” said Kay.
    “Suit up first” said Danny, attaching his GenBuckle.

They came over the spore cloud. Greg held onto Alexa as she spread her arms and took a leap off the outside of the Jet. She immediately began to plummet from Greg’s weight but brought him in front of the Prototaxites. Greg let go and fired his caulking bullets via Gatling mode while falling to the earth. White glue coated the fungus’s surface and stopped the spore emission. Greg used his armor plating to cushion his crash-landing. A group of Reptoids were there to greet him. Alexa came to join him and the two were kept busy.

Meanwhile Red, Green and Pink piloted DinoRobo toward the monster. It kept the circular iridium shield forward to block the spores still in the air and coming out from the pores left open. Once close enough, it used the sword to hack the fungus to pieces.
    “Now for the big finish” Danny ran the laser down the blade to sharpen it and give a charge of energy. DinoRobo swung the sword in the air once and then hacked the trunk in two in a horizontal swing. The pieces of the Biotherium began to dissolve and leave a residue on the cityscape. DinoRobo collected a sample of the spores inside itself and then sprayed a watery mist to dispel and dissipate the poisonous cloud.

Blue and White cut and shot the Reptoids until only a few were left. They ran to and fro to disorient the two, but Greg was not fooled. He and Alexa switched their Snipers to Blade mode, charged them with the pump action, and ran around slashing the grunts, killing them instantly. Greg leapt up and delivered the final blow to the last one. A group of people who had been cowering in a corner now inched out to see their heroes. Greg stood erect and looked back at them. DinoRobo stood tall behind him, sword and shield at its sides. The blue-clad youth nodded to the people. As long as the Dinomen… as long as he was here, they need not fear...

Greg found Adrian in the lab that evening examining the scant inventory.
    “There’s some good stuff here” Adrian said. “We’ll be needing it in the future, maybe more.”
    “You know chemistry. Maybe we can work on stuff together.”
    Adrian looked at Greg and smiled. “You did a good job today by yourself.”
    “Imagine the possibilities” Greg smiled back.

Their earlier fight seemed forgotten for now. Greg remembered Kay’s suggestion and tied the words together in his mind to say.
    “Back in high school I used to go drag racing with some other kids” he finally started.
    “You?” Adrian was incredulous.
    “Yeah. It was always on these quiet highways between towns, so most of the time no one got hurt. Then one night before graduation I raced against a friend of mine…”
    Greg paused. His chest felt heavy. Adrian waited for him to continue.
    “I tried to ram the guy off the road. But he lost control and crashed into a telephone pole…. The car exploded before anyone could get to him.”
    “What happened?” Adrian asked quietly.
    “No one ratted me out, or else everyone would have gone down. It got written off as an accident. He was supposed to graduate with me…”

Greg looked at Adrian now. “I got someone killed because I was careless with life. Since then I’ve tried helping as many people as I could in any way. But I still can’t get behind the wheel.”
    “You’re atoning for your sins.”
    “I suppose so.”
    Adrian sighed. “I won’t say that’s not noble. But you can’t save everyone. And not everyone deserves to be saved.”
    “Maybe not. But I have to try. I owe that much.”
    Adrian folded his arms and leaned against the bench. They stayed there together in silence…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

After foiling the first attempt to use the Cosmic Vanisher’s second mode, the Ecodroid Brawler challenges Kay to a match; against the others’ advice Kay hones herself with hopes of avenging Jennifer; Danny and Greg rush to modify the cannon’s power system before the next battle.

Article 6: Diamond Fists

Greg held onto Alexa as she spread her arms and took a leap off the outside of the Jet. She immediately began to plummet from Greg’s weight but brought him in front of the Prototaxites. Greg let go and fired his caulking bullets via Gatling mode while falling to the earth. White glue coated the fungus’s surface and stopped the spore emission. Greg used his armor plating to cushion his crash-landing. A group of Reptoids were there to greet him. Alexa came to join him and the two were kept busy.

Danny ran the laser down the blade to sharpen it and give a charge of energy. DinoRobo swung the sword in the air once and then hacked the trunk in two in a horizontal swing. The pieces of the Biotherium began to dissolve and leave a residue on the cityscape. DinoRobo collected a sample of the spores inside itself and then sprayed a watery mist to dispel and dissipate the poisonous cloud.

Greg looked at Adrian now. “I got someone killed because I was careless with life. Since then I’ve tried helping as many people as I could in any way. But I still can’t get behind the wheel.”
    “You’re atoning for your sins.”
    “I suppose so.”
    Adrian sighed. “I won’t say that’s not noble. But you can’t save everyone. And not everyone deserves to be saved.”
    “Maybe not. But I have to try. I owe that much.”

*BGM plays*
    (‘Volt, kougeki kaishi! (2)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Despite the Dinomen’s frantic crusade, the rest of the world cowered at the might of Terra Nova. The organizations’ infiltrators in the national governments continued to coerce the cowardly leaders to surrender. People who knew or had foreseen what was coming that tried to resist were eliminated or simply disappeared. Most others quickly capitulated, or were so socially conditioned that they took little notice. A tiny few even tried to apologize for Nova’s “extreme but ultimately understandable” actions. These people Nova patronized, but their time would soon come too.

In the most rebellious places squadrons of Thunderbirds ran daily bombing missions, followed by a urging to cease resistance. The Dinomen could not save them, rang the announcements. If they continued to fight, they promised to escalate.

Galton XII lead an army of Greenshirts into a TV station and soon took it over. The employees were forced to set up a live broadcast directed to the Dinomen.

Davenport V and Monger lead a group of scientists down a windowed hallway. They passed several rooms beneath them: incubators for the hybrid embryos bred into Biotheres, assembly lines for the Mechadrone forces, labs where young science and engineering students, seemingly unaware of what their benefactors were doing outside these walls, worked on their projects.
    “As you can see, we are progressing rapidly despite the recent… interferences.”
    “Indeed” said one. He looked down on the youths. One of them, a girl of Burmese descent, happened to look up at the group and watch them intently.
    “When can we expect the Final Purge to take place?” another asked. ‘With as little feeling as a machine’, Monger thought to himself, able to relate. Any lower human might have balked at what the Final Purge was, but not this lot. Perhaps this was what made him trust them even less.
    “Once we herd in the masses that will go along with us, we can begin. And we can wipe out the Dinomen with them.”
    “Let them see their failure when we do” said Huxley IX, a Greenshirt named for Thomas Huxley with a particular sadistic streak.
    “It’s better we get rid of them as soon as possible” said Monger. “Galton XII is working on part one of a plan as we speak. I shall deal with part two right now.”

The robot led them to a small ‘arena’, followed by the girl’s eyes until they were out of sight.

Brawler was in the ring punching out Mechadrones and a few trainee Greenshirt grunts. Another Ecodroid, a small-monkey-like robot named Mandrill, swung and crawled around the ring chattering wildly.

“Is this all there is?” he exclaimed as a Mechadrone broke to pieces and scattered toward the visitors. “Give me a challenge, Monger! You haven’t sent me out in months. I’m starting to atrophy.”
    “Would you consider the Dinomen a challenge?” asked Monger.
    Brawler flexed his fingers and punched one more Greenshirt, making him crumple to the floor in pain.
    “I accept.”

*Opening Theme plays*

Greg had trouble sleeping. Terran’s records on Terra Nova both sickened and fascinated him too much to rest his mind. He poured over notes, excerpts and data. Advances in cancer research purposefully hidden; promotion of extreme environmentalist laws as part of “population control”; international fiscal policies that perpetuated endless debt; and the list went on. He had just started to read a hard copy of Aldous Huxley’s thank you-letter to George Orwell upon receipt of his novel 1984 (where Terran had highlighted the portion relating to drug usage for manipulating people’s minds).

Kay startled him with a knock on the door.
    “Did you get any sleep?” she asked, seeing his exhausted look.
    “No, I was reading” Greg rubbed his eyes and ran hand through his hair.
    “There’s some food out. Go eat.”
    “Edible food?”
    Kay gave a mirthless smile. “Enough to live on.”

She went to the room where their Greenshirt captives were held and delivered some of the food to them. None of them said a word to her. Kay observed them carefully. This probably would have been Jennifer’s crowd, she thought. While Kay had always been adequate in school, her sister had had much more talent. She was the epitome of what immigrant parents to the West would want.

As she achieved more, Kay had noticed that they would lavish her with rewards, and at some point it had gone to her head. She became more smug toward their parents, took advantage of their leniency. They seemed not to notice. “As long as her grades are high.” But Kay felt more and more uncomfortable, even resentful toward Jennifer. Finally, when they had seemed to catch on and tried to persuade her to stay home for college, the fireworks began to truly fly. Jennifer’s arrogance was on full display. Clearly she thought herself superior to her less educated parents, and the elder sister who never shined as bright.

Nevertheless Kay could not hate her. She had wanted to bury the hatchet… but then Terra Nova came and destroyed so much. Jennifer had gotten a scholarship through them. She believed in them, and she had possibly been one of their many victims. All this flooded her mind as she watched the prisoners.
    “How long are you gonna keep us here?” Ivana suddenly asked.
    “… I don’t know” Kay responded. “We still haven’t decided what to do with you.”
    There was no regret in their faces, she noted. No empathy. Not even passion. Only a cold logic seemed to drive them, as though no reasonable person could ever disagree with their goals. A logic as well that seemed divorced from the rest of the world. Kay locked the door behind her.

She found Adrian, Danny and Alexa come back from a training session on the ground looking worn out. Greg was transfixed on a monitor in the cockpit. A message seemed to be coming to them.
    “What are you doing?” asked Danny, making an effort to swallow some dry bread.
    “We’re getting some live feed” said Greg as he adjusted the picture. When the image cleared up they saw a series of bombs set up around a TV station and its workers gathered inside the building. Galton XII then appeared on screen.
    “Greetings, Dinomen. Long time no see.”
    “Creel!” Greg spat venomously. Terran’s lifeless face reappeared in his mind’s eye.
    “I’ll make this brief, as you are right now too hot-headed to speak civilly. I have commandeered this TV station and set it to blow. You can avoid that by returning your peers that you kidnapped recently.”
    “Kidnapped??” Adrian repeated incredulously.
    “Come to these coordinates I’m sending you within the hour. Otherwise you can say good-bye to these good people.”
    “Damn you, Creel!” Greg cursed. But Galton XII ignored him and ended the transmission. Adrian cast a critical look on Greg, as if to say ‘I told you so’. Had the Greenshirts been taken care of the enemy could not have threatened them as they had just done. But Greg decided now was not the time to argue over it.
    “Let’s go make the trade.”

*BGM plays*
    (‘Zettaizetsumei’ from Choujinki Metalder)

The team drove with their prisoners to the designated spot. Monger and Brawler were waiting with a group of Mechadrones. Monger held what looked like a detonator in his hand.
    “We’ve been waiting” he greeted.
    “Who are you?” asked Adrian as he dismounted. “Where’s Creel?”
    “Galton XII to you, and don’t worry about him. I am Monger, head of the Ecodroids. You will parlay with me.”
    “Fine” said Greg. “Here are your people. Now disarm your bombs.”
    “Send them over first!”
    “At the same time!”
    “Send them now or I flip this switch!”
    “Do what he says” Adrian whispered. “But keep your guns on our friends here.”

The Greenshirts were let go and slowly made their way to Monger’s side.
    “Any foul play and we shoot them” said Adrian. Greg had reservations but kept them to himself.
    “Oh?” said Monger, almost amused. “’You think you can read me, human?”
    He waved his hand at the Mechadrones. Before anyone could react they took aim on the surprised Greenshirts and shot them dead.
    “There! How’s that? I’ve done what you should have when you caught them!”
    “How could you?!” Kay outraged. “They were on your side!”
    “Being caught by you proved their weakness. Weakness is excised from Terra Nova. But you delivered them to me, so in exchange…”
    He used his device to remotely disarm the bombs.
    “But blowing them up would have done them a favor. They will soon be dead either way.”
    “What does that mean?” demanded Danny.
    “Do you want to save them? Brawler, see if they can get past you and the Drones.”
    “Finally!”

Brawler smashed his large fists together and led the Mechadrones in a charge. Greg stared at the fallen Greenshirts and clenched his fist in anger.
    “Go!”
    The Dinomen began to fight the robots while Monger quietly had the bodies gathered up and slipped away. Brawler came upon Danny first and knocked him down with a series of bone-splintering punches.
    “Danny - ” Kay cried out before getting smashed in the head by Brawler’s fist. Greg used his placoderm shielding to take the blows but could not land an effective hit himself. He resorted to using his Sniper as a club but Brawler ripped it from his hands, took him by the throat and threw him away in a heap. Alexa and Adrian fired their Snipers from the side. Brawler responded by shooting his fists, striking them in the chest. New hands were quickly assembled.
    “Is this the challenge promised to me?” he asked the air. “Get up, you piles of flesh.”

*BGM plays*
    (‘FLASHING, Rolling Vulcan (2)’ from Choushinsei Flashman)

Danny fired the Cosmic Vanisher from Moschops, sending Brawler backward. He lifted the heavy cannon off its mount and carried it over to the others.
    “Let’s blast him away.”
    “Good thinking” said Greg. Adrian took the controls and activated the second cannon mode. The two sides folded out and extended forward. The controls folded in on themselves and turned 90 degrees, making a triangular syringe. The girls stood in front of Adrian on either side. Greg and Danny knelt down and carried the front on their shoulders. Adrian pulled the syringe and waited for it to fully charge.
    “What’s taking so long?” asked Alexa. Brawler was brazenly coming at them now.
    “A little more…” said Greg. Adrian looked back and forth between Brawler and the meter.
    “NOW!!”
    He shoved the syringe back in. A powerful burst of energy shot forth, but the strong recoil knocked the team backwards and they missed Brawler completely. Brawler looked back at the explosion with a snort and turned menacingly back at the team. They scrambled to get the Vanisher back in position and recharge. A grenade launcher popped out of his mouth and he spat some at their feet. The five were thrown in the air and crashed back down. The Vanisher clattered heavily nearby.

Brawler beat his chest and flexed his fingers. Kay glared at the robot approaching. She thought back to the Greenshirts and to Jennifer. What cruelties might they have inflicted on her, if they could be so inhumane to their own? She attacked Brawler and tried utilizing her hardened fists and legs. But despite her strength it seemed to do little good.
    “Is this a joke?” Brawler countered with blows to her head and abdomen, and finished with a laser blast from his chest. Kay writhed on the ground clutching herself. Brawler brought his foot down on her body and knelt over her.
    “Kay!”
    Kay grabbed his ankle and tried in vain to pry him off. Brawler began scanning her biological data and BioSuit specs. What he found surprised him.
    “You…”

Danny found his Sniper and shot Brawler. He removed himself and dragged Kay to her feet.
    “You have an interesting one here, Dinomen. I might keep her for a bit.”
    “Let her go or you won’t leave here in one piece” said Greg, his own Sniper aimed at his head.
    “Empty threats. But I know something that will interest you, Pink. Come with me and I will show you.”
    “No.”
    “Are you sure? It’s about your sister.”
    Kay froze. Jennifer? What did he know… what had they done to her?”
    “What did you do to her?!”
    “That’s for to find out, isn’t it? Will you come with me?”
    “Don’t listen to him!” yelled Greg.
    “It’s either that or you beat it out of me.”
    “I’ll take the latter” Kay growled.
    “Ha!” Brawler threw her back to her teammates. “Very well, Pink. Come back here in three days and face me alone. “Win and I will tell you everything. Lose, and you will die.”
    “I’ll be here!” Kay shouted back.
    “Kay!” Greg exclaimed in shocked anger. But Kay ignored him and watched as Brawler disappeared…

“Kay, this is crazy. Don’t go to that guy alone, he will kill you for sure.” Greg pleaded as they nursed their injuries back in the Jet.
    “You don’t think I can beat him?”
    “I don’t” Danny interjected. “You don’t have enough skill.”
    It was bluntly put, but Kay had to admit the point. But she could not leave this alone. Everything that had happened today had somehow injected her with resolve.
    “Teach me, then. Let me get better.”
    “Kay, he beat all five of us in one go. How can you fight him by yourself?”
    “And why did he give you three days?” asked Adrian. “They must be up to something… Monger said he disarmed the bombs, but the people weren’t freed.”
    “That’s true” said Greg. “We have to find out what they’re doing, and see if we can modify the Vanisher. The charge-up is too slow and the recoil too strong.”
    “You can still do that. We all train anyway, just… teach me how to be better.”
    “Don’t meet him, Kay” said Alexa.
    “Or what?” Kay suddenly challenged. “He might threaten more people if I don’t go. And I would’ve been taken away if I refused, and then what would you have done? He knows what happened to my sister. I have to get him to tell me.”
    Greg sighed. Danny and Alexa remained doubtful. Adrian though seemed to understand her sudden conviction.
    “I’ll teach you” he said. “Danny needs to modify the Vanisher.”
    “Me?”
    “You’re the engineering major, no?” Adrian smirked. “Greg, you can give him a hand. Alexa, go stakeout the TV station and see what they’re doing.”
    “Since when do you give orders?” Greg asked.
    “You have a better arrangement?”
    Greg paused. “No” he admitted. “Let’s get to work.”
    “Thought so” Adrian nodded.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Seishum Orbufror (1)’ from Denji Sentai Megaranger)

For the next three days Adrian trained Kay like he was back in the old fight club. He made her counter both his capoeira and gunshots. Her punches and kicks got less wild and more precise. Blows to her body were better endured. Never had Kay so physically strained herself. She made an effort to not complain in the day, but at night nursed her bruises in private while choking back tears of pain. More than once Adrian tried to ease up and dissuade her from continuing, but all Kay could think of was Jennifer, and that let her continue.

Meanwhile Danny and Greg worked hurriedly to modify the Cosmic Vanisher. After studying the blueprints they decided to try modifying the energy output. When they tested it they found the recoil had decreased, but the weapon’s firepower had gone down as well.
    “That won’t do” said Greg during one firing. “Now the power is too low.”
    “We need to find a median level” said Danny. “Enough to be effective without sending us flying or blowing up in our face.”

Alexa glided around the TV station and used her built-in binoculars to spy on the enemy, taking out grunts whenever necessary with her feathery darts. The hostages seemed unharmed; Galton XII and Revenger were forcing them to produce and broadcast propaganda on a regular basis. She saw Monger speak reproachfully to Brawler, presumably about his deal with Kay. This continual surveillance made her feel like the bird of prey her suit was modeled on; silently watching her prey before the final swoop. It was actually somewhat thrilling.

On the night before the last day Greg came to Kay and Adrian and donned his suit.
    “Is the cannon ready?” asked Adrian.
    “It’s ready.” Greg turned to Kay and hardened his body with his armoring. “Hit me.”
    “What?”
    “Hit me as hard as you can.”
    Kay transformed while slowly approaching Greg, and then began to punch and kick with as much force as she could muster. Greg covered himself and backed down while Kay advanced. Finally Kay delivered a kick that he almost could feel through the armor, and he stumbled backward.
    “You’re ready.”

The sun was beginning to set when Brawler saw Kay coming to the field. Her belt and sash were on but she had not yet transformed.
    “You are alone.”
    “I’m alone.”
    Brawler smashed his fists together and took a ready stance. Kay transformed and did likewise. They held this for a moment and then, with the falling of a stone, ran toward each other.

*Insert Song plays*

Kay dodged a shot from Brawler’s mouth and kicked him in the stomach as he came close. Their fight went like a kickboxing match; fists and feet flew in a dizzying display. From a distance one would have seen two silhouettes locked in combat against a descending orange circle.

The remaining four started their attack on the TV station. Greenshirts, Mechadrones and Reptoids came to face them as they fought their way inside. Galton XII and Huxley IX, who had come to observe the broadcasts, watched the battle from a saferoom.
    “Another interference” said Huxley to Galton. “You should start the Purge before they get too much to handle.”
    “Don’t be impatient” said Galton, though he did start getting ready to leave.

The Dinomen soon met Monger’s right-hand man Revenger, who had gathered the hostages in a large studio.
    “Let them go!” Greg demanded.
    Revenger made a guttural noise and attacked. Gunfire ripped through the building as he let off his massive rifle. The fight brought them back outside where more Mechadrones gathered around Revenger. The robot made some more noises at the heroes.
    “Is he trying to talk?” asked Alexa.
    “Sounds more like a mute” said Danny. “Let’s just blow them all away.”
    Greg went to retrieve the Cosmic Vanisher from Moschops while the others kept the enemy back with their C-14 Snipers. The Vanisher converted to second mode. Adrian took the rear again, Greg and Alexa manned each side, and Danny knelt down to hold it up from the bottom. Still, without Kay there would be a lack of balance.
    “I hope you got it right” said Adrian. He pulled back the syringe and observed the charge time, now significantly faster.
    “Done!”
    “FIRE!” ordered Danny.
    A less powerful, but on-target blast of energy shot forth and destroyed the Mechadrones, while throwing Revenger away. Revenger uttered more sounds and made his getaway via black van.
    “Let’s blast them again” said Adrian.
    “No, let’s get the hostages out of here” said Greg. They went back in and brought the captives out to freedom. They also picked up some of the videos Terra Nova had forced them to make.
    “They told us to make their propaganda” one of the freed people said ruefully. “I wish they had killed me then and there. You don’t want to know what those monsters are planning.”
    “I have an idea” said Greg heavily.

Kay felt herself getting the upper hand. Brawler had not expected this sudden advancement of ability. His hits became more desperate and less calculated. He shot her again and again, yet she kept coming. His metal plating became dented. Finally Kay jumped with both feet and gave a strong kick to the chest, landing on her back.

Sparks flew off Brawler. His systems were overexerted. The robotic pugilist collapsed on the ground. Kay went up and knelt beside him.
    “I win.”
    “How… did you beat me?” Brawler rasped.
    “I wanted it more. Now tell me about my sister.”
    His mechanical eyes swept over Kay again. “You two…. Quite different…”
    “What?”
    “She lives…. She is with us… unhurt. I could have taken you to her.”
    “I doubt you would have.”
    “Go seek her then…. If you can get to us.”

Brawler then shut down completely. Dead. Kay rolled over on her back and let the relief wash over her…

*BGM plays*
    (‘Tears Of Digital Heroines’ from Denji Sentai Megaranger)

Danny found Kay in the room where the Greenshirts had been held. She was lightly punching a thin pad mounted on the wall. Danny quietly approached her and caught her hand as she made to punch again. Kay quickly slipped out and turned his way.
    “You’re getting quicker.”
    “Thanks.”
    Danny examined her battered body. Kay slumped on the floor and rested her head against the wall. She drew her feet close and massaged them.
    “You won today. Take a break.”
    “I know… I just can’t relax now after what he said.”
    “That your sister is alive?”
    “I have to find her…. Tell her I’m sorry.”
    “Sorry? For what?”
    “I don’t know… we weren’t speaking before all this happened, so I just want to forgive and forget. You understand?”
    “I do” said Danny, but he had a feeling it was worse than what it appeared.
    “What will you do when you find her?”
    “Go home with her. Start over.”
    “That’s if we find their base. And it will be a long, hard fight after we do.”
    “I’m ready” said Kay with conviction. She looked at Danny and gave a small smile. Danny took her injured hand and ran a finger over the bruised knuckles, making Kay wince slightly.
    “Let’s take care of these, and then you sleep.”
    “Ok.”

As Danny gingerly nursed her hands, Kay felt a sense of ease being with him. Danny too thought more of her after today. She was a deeply caring girl whose love had driven her to go so far. It was what he had hoped to find…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

Adrian catches a funeral service for Janine and turns introspective, and the next encounter with Terra Nova turns him particularly fierce; Bobby Lorenz’s egg hatches and reveals an unpleasant surprise; Greg receives a message from a Professor Lee instructing the team to meet him.

Article 7: Last Goodbye

Kay felt herself getting the upper hand. Brawler had not expected this sudden advancement of ability. His hits became more desperate and less calculated. He shot her again and again, yet she kept coming. His metal plating became dented. Finally Kay jumped with both feet and gave a strong kick to the chest, landing on her back.

Sparks flew off Brawler. His systems were overexerted. The robotic pugilist collapsed on the ground. Kay went up and knelt beside him.
    “I win.”
    “How… did you beat me?” Brawler rasped.
    “I wanted it more. Now tell me about my sister.”
    His mechanical eyes swept over Kay again. “You two…. Quite different…”
    “What?”
    “She lives…. She is with us… unhurt. I could have taken you to her.”
    “I doubt you would have.”
    “Go seek her then…. If you can get to us.”

Brawler then shut down completely. Dead.

Since Bobby Lorenz’s departure, Alexa had been keeping the egg that he had given them. For a while it had sat undisturbed in a warm place in her room. Now suddenly it was starting to stir.

Alexa opened her sleep-heavy eyes past midnight to this sight. Upon closer inspection she found the egg had gone still again, but thin spidery fissures had developed along the shell. Whatever was inside would soon make its appearance…

*Opening Theme plays*

Early that same morning Adrian had decided to go for a ride on Raptor, without telling anyone else. It had been some time since he had rode for fun, and he felt the urge to get away from all the gloominess for a while. But God seemed to have other plans for him.

By fate or chance he passed by a grassy cemetery near a church where a small, non-fancy service was being held. Keeping his distance, Adrian stopped and watched, curious as to whom this was for. He then saw a picture of Janine. His heart skipped a beat.
    Janine…

Then this must be her family and friends, he reasoned. He saw no casket or dug pit, so they couldn’t have recovered her body from the university ruins. One of the attendees caught a glimpse of him and passed his gaze without recognition. Though Adrian had always hated funerals or memorials, he wanted to join them. After failing to save her, it felt wrong to just pass this by. But they did not know him, and he wished not to disturb them. What could he tell them, anyway? That he heard her last screams and could do nothing for her?

*BGM plays*
    (‘Senritsu! Shinigami Gash!! (1)’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Adrian had met Janine quite by happenstance. She had been in a freshman orientation session a few years ago when they happened to cross paths in the student lounge. Adrian had sat down on at a circular bench surrounding one of the supporting pillars when she had suddenly broken away from the gaggle of girls and greeted him. They began to talk, or rather she, like they were old acquaintances, and while Adrian politely reciprocated he had been a bit put off by her boldness. He later found out that the other girls had actually dared her to go ask out a random upperclassman. A bit sophomoric of them, and Janine had at that moment thought so too; but now with all that had happened, Adrian felt it ironic.

The two gradually became friends. Adrian had to confess a fascination about her that went beyond looks. She could be bluntly direct, even bossy. She always seemed to blame his pessimistic outlook on life as simple fear, which annoyed him to no end considering (in his mind) her apparent childlike ignorance of just how messed up the world was. But maybe it was really hope in the face of uncertainty. Her way of motivating him to strive for something grand like his peers. He had the brains and the skill, clearly, but not the dream. In that area Greg certainly had him beat.

But despite their relationship, Adrian never really took her up on her urging. Nor did he on her apparent attempts to be more than friends. Maybe he was scared after all… maybe he didn’t see in himself what Janine somehow saw in him…

And now it was too late. Only her last breath lingered in the air.

Adrian revved the bike and prepared to leave, when he saw a creature moving away into the forested area. It was too large to be a normal animal. ‘Biotherium’ he thought to himself. He turned Raptor in the direction of the creature and followed it into the wilderness…

Greg had resolved to make up for his lack of sleep, and in doing so missed breakfast. He noted their diminishing supplies as he helped himself to some leftovers from the others’ meal. They would need to find some more soon.

He noticed that Adrian was missing. Not a great idea, in case Terra Nova started something again, he thought, but he didn’t want to start another argument by lecturing him. They clashed too often, Greg had observed. It wasn’t good for the team. He looked for the others; Danny had busied himself with working on Moschops in the hangar, and the girls were in Alexa’s room talking in hushed voices about something, while sitting over the egg. When was that thing going to hatch anyway? Greg took a seat in the cockpit and began searching for enemy activity. The fuel gauge read more bad news: it was nearing empty. Soon they would be forced to land. Greg had no idea where they could find the fuel used for these golems, and he surmised that Terra Nova would have seized its hands on as much of it as they could.

A message icon blinked on the console. Audio only, and from a secure channel. Curious, Greg answered the hail.
    “Hello?”
    At first he only heard static, then a voice broke out. “Who is this?”
    “I would ask you the same thing”
    “Did Terran send you?”
    “You knew Terran?” Greg felt excited. “Yes, he sent me. Who are you??”
    “My name is Teddy Lee. I taught at your university until a few years ago. Terran was a friend of mine.”
    Greg thought he remembered a Professor Lee. “What do you want, Professor?”
    “I want you and your friends to meet me. There are some things you must know.”
    Caution now tempered Greg’s excitement. This could be a trick. But he needed more information to defeat Terra Nova, to complete the picture that Terran had left him. He would have to risk it.”
    “Where are you?”
    “I’ll send you the location shortly. We won’t talk again until you come here. Do not contact me until then.”

Static flooded in again and the signal cut off. A few moments later Lee’s location was sent to the computer. Greg immediately began formulating a plan. When Adrian returned he would tell the others about this. With their imminent problems, Lee could be their needed guide…

Adrian chased down the creature until he managed to knock it down with Raptor’s front wheel. He jumped off and got a better look at his prey.

Biotherium Mesothelae, a monster created with the DNA from giant Carboniferous spiders of that suborder. It clicked its pincers and uttered a pitiful hiss. Adrian slammed on his GenBuckle and was about to transform when two more parties came barging in. A team of Greenshirts lead by a man in a dull-colored costume named Croly III arrived from the left, looking like an eccentric hunting party. From the right came Edom and a group of Reptoids.
    “Ohho?” said Croly upon seeing the Buckle and Raptor. “Red Dino and the runaway. Today’s our lucky day.”
    “Do not harm the spider!” said Edom almost pleadingly. “She is under my care.”
    “Yes and you let her get away. You know the rule, all untamable Biotheres are eliminated.”
    “How about I kill her for you?” Adrian offered, acting coolly. Croly seemed unimpressed.
    “String him up” he commanded his subordinates.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Hissatsu! Bimotion Buster!!’ from Chouju Sentai Liveman)

Adrian sprang into action. He transformed as the grunts came up and kicked them away, then went to attack the Mesothelae. Reptoids tried to tackle him, and the Greenshirts fired at his back, but he managed to fight them off and, using his enhanced speed, chased down the spider creature on foot.
    “After them!” Croly III yelled.

Adrian slammed the monster to the ground and they began to exchange blows. Edom caught up with them and threw Adrian off.
    “You shan’t harm her!”
    “Oh?” asked Adrian angrily. “And who are you, their leader? I guess that completes the trio.”
    “I am Edom, and I am their leader. Surrender yourself to us.”
    Adrian cocked his C-14 Sniper. “I don’t think so.”
    He fired one shot at the Mesothelae but Edom threw aside his black cloak and took the bullet himself. It impacted his red scaly skin with no injury. Adrian hid his surprise.
    “They bred you well, I see.”
    “Miles Gottfried himself gave me life” Edom announced reverently. “I am not an animal, so do not talk to me as such, you untermensch.”
    “Channeling the Elephant Man?” Adrian switched his weapon to blade mode. “Now I’ll give you a warning. Leave or I’ll cut you both down.”
    Edom snorted. He and the Mesothelae continued the fight. In another scenario Adrian would have called for the others, but today, after seeing that humble service for a friend lost, he felt particularly determined to fight alone. Mesothelae spat globs of silk and bit Adrian on the forearms as he slashed her with sword and the claws on his hands and feet. Edom grabbed him by the shoulders, forced him on his knees with superhuman strength to match his opponent’s, and kneed him in the stomach. Adrian brought his arms close as a shield but Edom forced them apart again and struck two crippling blows to his heart.

The young hero rolled away clutching his chest. Edom kicked him in the head.
    “Where are your friends? Why don’t you call them?”
    Adrian painfully tried to lift himself. “I don’t need them…”
    “Why do you say that?”
    Adrian grabbed Edom by the legs and tried to topple him over. Mesothelae responded by cutting him across the back. Edom threw him aside and watched him land face-up on the ground. Again Adrian got back up. He could hear the footfalls of the approaching Greenshirts. Janine’s screams echoed again, the sight of Greenshirts coming over where she had fallen flashed before him. He retrieved his Sniper, shoved Edom away and blasted madly at the Biotherium, forcing it backward and hissing madly. Some body spines were shot off and littered the forest floor. It cowered near a tree and nursed its wounds. Edom was now enraged. But by now the Greenshirts had arrived and trained their guns on Adrian and Mesothelae.

*BGM plays*
    (‘Chousen’ from Choujinki Metalder)

“Don’t shoot!” Edom yelled. “Red Dino is mine.”
    “Fine” said Croly III. “Kill the spider” he ordered his grunts.
    “NO!”
    Edom took the bullets meant for Mesothelae and dropped to one knee. Thinking quickly, Adrian summoned Raptor via remote and shot both Croly and Edom. Croly cursed and clutched his body. The Greenshirts, now joined by the Reptoids, began to attack Adrian.
    “Damn you, Edom” Croly growled. “You still don’t know your place, do you?”
    “The Biotheres are in my care. You need not kill every one who escapes you.”
    “They may have human parentage, but they are mindless animals. They’re merely proof of our scientific genius, as are you. If they’re out of control, they must be put down like you would any rabid creature.”
    Edom watched Adrian fight madly against the grunts even as he exhausted himself. Almost like he was for his kindred. For a second he felt an inkling of empathy…. but then remembered he was of the inferior stock of humans, those who could not rise to the godliness of Terra Nova’s Greenshirt elite.
    “If you were truly devoted to Terra Nova you would not rebel so.”
    Edom bowed low. “A thousand pardons.”
    He took Mesothelae with him and stumbled away. Croly shook his head. Edom was old. Compared to the recent Biotheres, he was also obsolete. Were it not for the fact that Gottfried had given him life, he would have been disposed of long ago.

Adrian was at his limit. His arms and back were discolored; had the spider had poisoned him? He felt himself… or perhaps his BioSuit… grow weaker. Raptor at last arrived, barreling through the grunts and stopping in front of its rider. Adrian leapt on and got away as fast as he could. The Greenshirts fired shots after him but he managed to escape without further harm...

*Insert Song plays*
    (‘Kanashimi no Kanata e’ by Eikichi Yazawa)

Adrian rode back to the cemetery. By then Janine’s family and friends were gone. He dragged himself off, ambled to the headstone placed for Janine, and collapsed next to it. Removing his BioSuit revealed his body, albeit battered and exhausted, was not itself poisoned. But Adrian didn’t even bother wondering about that. Instead he looked at the fresh stone with Janine’s name and epitaph etched into it.

What had driven him so today? In all his battles since joining Greg on his folly he had tried to act with objectivity, and a lack of faith that contrasted with his fellow schoolmate. But seeing this today had fired up inside him the same passion, the same vengeful motivation that spurred Greg on despite his higher claims. Had he really valued Janine so much?

Adrian rested his head on the stone. His times with her played in his mind. Was this simple anger for a friend’s murder? Or was it regret over what he had never wanted, but in truth unconsciously desired? He couldn’t save her, nor now could he avenge her, having had to run away in failure. And the ironic thing was that she would have probably laughed at this display and told him to lighten up.

The woods emitted dim echoes. They might still be pursuing him, Adrian surmised. He found nearby a small patch of wildflowers. He picked himself up, gathered some, and after a moment placed them at the foot of the stone.
    Good bye” he said silently. Good-bye to what though, he was not sure. He got back on Raptor and rode away. Anger slowly rekindled within him. When he met Terra Nova again it was he who would make them run…

“It’s hatching now?” Greg repeated in surprise when he heard Alexa report the news. She had brought the egg in a small box and placed it on the table in the galley. The four of them watched the eggshell shake and crack as the creature within slowly entered the world.
    “Where’s Adrian?” asked Kay. “He should see this.”
    The scientist in him reawakened, Greg set up a tiny camera to record the process. Perhaps with some luck he could study this specimen along with the Biotherium Triceratops skin he had recovered.

A small tail broke out of the egg and waved around. Then a pair of clawed feet, then arms. An unsettling croaking sound emitted from within.
    “That doesn’t sound good” said Danny. Wordlessly the four picked up objects to defend themselves and catch whatever hatched out. When the egg finally broke apart completely, they stared in surprise at the baby that had emerged.
    “Oh boy” said Greg…

TO BE CONTINUED
    *Ending Theme 1 plays*

Next Time

DinoJet begins to run out of fuel and must land, giving Terra Nova an opening for attack; the team must form a strategy to protect themselves and the baby creature, and find Professor Lee.